Gillian Hodge ’23

“Completing the Honors Program at URI didn’t make my four years any more difficult or time-consuming, but rather allowed me the opportunity to delve into topics I was interested in outside of the classroom and gain a more holistic education overall.”

What was your Major(s) and year of graduation?

I graduated this year (2023) with a BA in International Studies & Diplomacy, Mandarin, and Political Science

Why did you choose to attend URI?

I chose URI primarily for the in-state tuition, but then was pleasantly surprised by the options and opportunities available once I was there.

What are your plans post graduation?

As a graduate, I am moving to DC beginning my masters degree this coming fall, the MS in Foreign Service degree at Georgetown University.

Note: Gillian was selected to participate in the U.S. Congress – Republic of Korea National Assembly Exchange Program administered by Meridian International Center, and got to go to Korea fully funded for a short stay this summer (2023).

How were you involved in campus life at URI?

At URI, I volunteered with clubs like the Service Corps Alternative Spring Break Program (where I was a participant on one trip and a leader on one the following year) and the Global Peer Ambassadors, which was a group that partnered with international students to welcome them to campus and serve as support throughout the semester. I was also pretty involved academically with the Flagship program, which included a couple of summer study programs and a year abroad in Taiwan. I also tutored for Flagship for a summer. I worked a few on-campus jobs as well, including as a Peer Advisor with the Office of International Education and as an economics tutor with the Academic Enhancement Center.

How did the honors program support and equip you as a student and a young professional?

The Honors Program is the gateway to completing the Flagship program. Because of the small class size, honors courses were great for just starting off in a language. Additionally, the two honors research projects I completed based on my International Studies and Chinese majors helped open the door for research-based internships, and provided writing samples I could advertise in my graduate school applications. The independence and self-pacing required to complete an Honors project was also a good way to develop those skills.

What would you tell students thinking about the Honors program to help them prepare? 

Completing the Honors Program at URI didn’t make my four years any more difficult or time-consuming, but rather allowed me the opportunity to delve into topics I was interested in outside of the classroom and gain a more holistic education overall. In fact, the program flexibility was such that I was able to work with the Honors team to complete all the course requirements and two Honors Projects in time to study abroad for my whole senior year. Because the Honors Program is made to complement your other majors, I would recommend that anyone who is able to should give the program a try.