3 Tips to fall asleep quicker: Dorm edition

leah writingEvery night before I go to sleep I have the same routine. I brush my teeth, wash my face, put out clothes for the next morning, plug in my phone, and turn off the lights. Having a routine and prepping for the next day the night before helps me fall asleep faster. Making my lunch and putting out clothes for the next day gives me one less thing to let my mind wander to when falling asleep.

I’m fortunate enough to live in a house off campus where I have my own bedroom and quiet respectful roommates. However, I remember my days in the dorm where my roommate and I would want to go to sleep at different hours and there would be loud people in the hall going in and out of the bathroom at all hours of the night.

College students should be averaging 8 HOURS of sleep every night. Do you get that much sleep? What is keeping you from getting that much sleep?

I just want to state that I am not by any means a sleep “expert”. Everything in this post is from personal experiences and common knowledge.

If you’re living in a dorm and you’re having difficulties sleeping read on for….

3 TIPS for sleeping in a dorm

1.) Buy an eye mask!

leah wearing sleeping mask

I really benefited from this. My sophomore year roommate and I would always go to sleep at different hours, and I like it to be pitch black when I fall asleep. All the lights from outside the room or even just her being on her computer would keep me up. I recommend purchasing an eye mask to block out all the excess light that may be in your room.

2.) Block out the hallway noise

This can be done in a variety of different ways. If agreed upon with your roommate you can try playing sleep sounds out loud off of your computer or phone. There are plenty of great free playlists on youtube and apps! If you’re unable to play the sounds out loud I suggest playing them on your headphones. You can set a timer on your phone so the sounds turn off in an hour or two. This will help drown out the hallway noise and relax you before you go to sleep.

3.) Talk to your roommate!

The best way to get the sleep you need is to talk to your roommate. Discuss things such as, when you both go to sleep, whether you need darkness or some light, and whether you need sound or quite. Hopefully, you can compromise and find a happy medium. For example, most nights my freshman year roommate and I decided to have the lights off by 10:30. Then we could either go to sleep or continue doing work (or watching Netflix) on our computers.

How does stress affect sleep?

Sleeping should not be a stressful activity, make your dorm room/bed as much as a sanctuary as possible. This way, when you lay in bed you are ready to relax and fall asleep. I know it’s difficult to not worry about your exam the next day or whether or not your groupmates are doing their part of a group project. But worrying about things like that can keep you from getting the beauty rest you need and deserve.leah writing in agenda book

It’s important to keep organized and stay on top of your school work in order to keep those late-night lingering thoughts out of mind. Personally, my planner is my best friend. I write down all my homework deadlines, exams, appointments, track practices, and work schedule in order to stay on top of my work.

BE PROACTIVE, in order to minimize stress later on it’s important to stay ahead of your school work. For example, that paper you have due in two weeks? Work on it now in your spare time! It’ll make your life a lot easier when the deadline approaches and you already have it finished or close to being finished.

wellness resource center

Also available is the Wellness Resource Center at the lower level of Anna Fascitelli! You can destress by coloring, reading, playing games, or even using the zen garden!

Minimizing the stress in your life will have positive effects on your sleeping patterns as well as your overall health!

Dorm VS Off-campus

Overall, I must say that my sleeping patterns are much better now that I am living off campus. Gone are the days that I hear loud footsteps up and down the hallway all night and my roommate typing on her computer until 1 am.

If you live on campus and are having issues falling/staying asleep try a few of my suggestions! Those 3 tips really helped me manage my sleep while I lived in the dorms.

I wish you all the best of luck in your sleeping endeavors! Remember, finals are coming up and it’s important to make sure you are being proactive and getting enough sleep!

Do you have any tips on how to fall and stay asleep? Or ways you like to de-stress? DM us on Instagram and we may share your story! @uricampusrec

See ya next week!
   -Leah