STRESS LESS during Finals Week

Leah StudyingI remember my first finals week like it was yesterday, staying up late hours of the night scrolling through powerpoints and quizlets. I remember getting late night pancakes with my roommates at Hope on the reading day then going to the library for another couple of hours to finish a paper. It’s a time where sleep is minimal and coffee is plentiful. The only thing getting you through studying and projects is knowing that after it’s over you get to go home to your friends and family for the holidays.

Welp, it’s that time of year ladies and gents. We’re nearing the end of this semesters syllabus’s gearing up for winter break. If you’re a first-year student and this is your first finals week the best piece of advice I can give you is START EARLY!

Here are 5 pieces of advice for finals week studying to help you Stress Less!

1.) Use a planner to schedule your time

Write down all of your final exam and project due dates into a calendar! Having dates written down will help keep you on track for your studying. leah writing in agenda

2.) Eliminate Distractions

I’m not going to lie to you guys, on average I spend 2+ hours on social media on my phone per day (that new iPhone featured constantly reminds me) Delete your social media apps (redownload them after your last final) OR put your phone away during allotted study time to help minimize distractions.

3.) Find a quiet place… or loud

What kind of environment do you study best in? I’ve always been told that it’s best to study in the type of environment you will be leah meditatingtaking your exam in. For example, sitting in a chair straight up, not slumped over in your bed or on the couch. In my opinion, you should study wherever feels best for you! You can rent out study rooms in the library, but get there early on the upcoming

4.) Take breaks

Remember to take breaks, it’s important to stay healthy during finals week. Sleep, eat, workout, spend time with friends. Do everything you need to do to take care of yourself.

5.) Move!

leah on elliptical

It’s just as important to exercise your body as it is to exercise your mind. Personally, when I’m stressed from studying I like to take the time to go for a jog. This really helps me clear my mind and focus on something other than school work. If I don’t have the time to go for a full jog, going for a short walk and stretching for a few minutes also does the trick.

The University of Rhode Island magazine has a great article on why you should get moving,“…exercise has been shown to decrease anxiety and improve mood” (Clark & Riebe, 2018, p.45). So make sure you get up and moving!

Feeling stressed? Wednesday, December 12th is YOUR day of wellness! Come by to the Wellness resource center to make Bath Bombs or down to Tootell for Paddle Board Yoga! The whole day is filled with activities so make sure you check it out and sign up early on IMleagues.com/uri 

When test time finally approaches… take a deep breath. Relax. You’ve prepared for this moment and everything you’ve learned is somewhere up in your brain. I wish you all the best of luck as you study and finalize those essays and projects! Remember it will all be worth it!

Have any finals or stress less tips of your own? Share them with us on Instagram! @uricampusrec

See ya next week!
-Leah