3 Easy Recipes to Kickoff Fall

Being stuck at home during the fall can bring you down when there’s so many fun things to do with your friends to get you in the spirit. Especially during COVID-19 and the social distancing restrictions, this fall is like no other. Many students here at URI are in quarantine or otherwise limited to the places they can go, so it is essential to find creative ways of staying busy either by yourself or with the people you live with. One of the ways you can put your boredom at bay is by cooking! College is the perfect time to learn how to cook for yourself and get into regular healthy eating habits.

In preparation for a warm, cozy fall, take a look at these 3 simple recipes to spice up your season from home…

For those here at URI living in dorms, microwave food and take-out can get boring. Even being stuck off-campus with your roommates or family can give way for your creativity to drain and your diet to get repetitive. Eating healthier snacks and cooking for yourself can save you money and leave you feeling happier and more focused on your classes. I’ve found some easy recipes for you to try that will keep your hands busy and your energy alive!

The first recipe I tried involves broccoli and cauliflower – veggie haters don’t run away yet! This broccoli cauliflower salad made even my pickiest friends want another bowl. Did I mention there’s bacon in it? All you need is broccoli, cauliflower, bacon, shredded cheese, mayonnaise, and sour cream. The recipe also calls for half a cup of 

Broccoli cauliflower salad imagesugar and a teaspoon of salt, but I skipped that step to keep it healthier. I also made it without the bacon for my vegetarian friends and it tasted delicious either way! Skipping the bacon is also a good step if you live in a dorm and have no way to cook it. There’s no cooking or baking involved and it can be served at room temperature.

These veggies are perfect for fall since broccoli is in its peak season starting in October!

Get the full recipe and directions, and start cooking!

The second recipe is perfect for a quick, but a super fun snack to make when you are tired of eating something from a box. These no-bake energy bites are so simple, you’re going to want to make them every day! All you’ll need is peanut butter, honey, vanilla, old fashion oats, toasted shredded coconut, flaxseed meal, and chocolate

chocolate chip, oatmeal, energy balls image. Bite sized snackchips. These no-bake balls have lots of fiber, so you’ll stay full throughout your online classes and will help you curb any sweet cravings before dinner time. These also do not require any cooking or baking, and just need to be chilled in the fridge to stay firm.

The best part is, you can make these for your friends or family and they will be so impressed by how yummy they are! You can even do this with a housemate and have fun rolling your mixture into little round bites. The Fun recipe is waiting for you!

My third easy recipe is definitely one of the best that I’ve come across in my daily scrolls through Pinterest. It is called a “Low Carb Big Mac Salad Jar,” but rather than using beef, I have tried this recipe by swapping out the protein with black beans or thinly sliced chicken breast. You really could use any meat or protein substitute to customize this meal.

"Big Mac" style salad in a mason jar

One reason why I love this recipe is that it is part of a series of meal-prepping meals that are perfect for college students who don’t have much time on their hands to cook. All you have to do is load up your jars at the beginning of the week and you’ve got meals for every day. You can even switch up your proteins or your veggie choices to prevent you from getting tired of it!

I definitely recommend checking out this website to see some of their other meal prep ideas so you can give yourself plenty of healthy, filling options this semester.

Each of these simple and quick recipes are fun to make and even better to taste. If there’s one thing I learned from moving into my own apartment, it’s that experimenting in my kitchen is incredibly entertaining. It gets me away from my phone and makes me feel like I’m ready for full-on “adulting.”

No matter if you live alone, with a roommate, or at your parents’ home, you can get together with the people you love and create delicious food for you to share!

Eating healthy, filling foods will keep you rejuvenated and focused on your schoolwork, especially with most classes being online. It can be so tempting to snack on a box of store-bought cookies or a cup of ramen noodles, but why not take a couple of extra minutes out of your day and make some healthy, home-made food that will taste even better?

If you like exploring Pinterest boards like I do, you’ll know that there are endless possibilities for what you can find and try to make for yourself. I’ve tried making each of the recipes featured in this blog and I can’t wait to see how you all customize them to fit your taste! 

fresh fruits with the words Thirsty Thursdays Crash CulinaryURI Dining has fun options to help as well 
URI Dining on ITGV
Crash Culinary + Thirsty Thursdays

If you have any questions about modifications for these recipes, comment on this blog and I can explain to you what I’ve tried. Come back next week for more Campus Rec tips for living a healthy and fun life at URI!

blog author, Jess

Jess blog writer sitting at a table with beach in the backgroundHi everyone! I’m Jessica T., a senior here at URI majoring in Communications. After moving to Rhode Island from Southern Connecticut, I’ve now lived in Warwick for almost three years. Becoming a part of the Campus Recreation team has given me the opportunity to write blogs that enable myself and other students to relate and connect despite having limited time on campus. I have always loved writing and hope to have my work positively impact the lives of others! I also enjoy activities such as barre, sewing, and hiking. Rhode Island has become home for me and has brought me so many special experiences, especially during my time in college. The URI community is so welcoming and is always changing, so I am excited to represent our school through this blog!