A Guide to a COVID-Friendly Schoolyear

For those living on campus, I’m sure this is not how you pictured your year to go. It’s easy to get down in the dumps because things aren’t how we wanted them to be. Too much isolation can be taxing on our mental health. Here are 5 ideas to be more social and productive while staying safe on campus:

1. Join a club: This semester is the perfect opportunity to join a club. It’s been hard meeting new friends due to our limited social interactions. I’ve met a ton of new people through the club I am a part of, PRSSA. I am even a member of the events committee for the PRSSA where I have gotten to know the other members better. The URI website has a huge list of clubs for everyone. A few interesting ones I saw are the fashion blogging club, gaming club, astronomy club, or slam poetry club. To see what other clubs URI has to offer, head over to the URI student organization website. 
      2. Learn a new hobby: Something that I noticed from being in quarantine is that our society in general is less in the present Lisa biking outsidemoment. We are always on the go, and thinking about what responsibilities we have to do next. Take a moment and try out a new hobby. It may take you back into the present moment. A hobby I recently got back into over quarantine was biking. I find it so enjoyable to ride down the bike path listening to my favorite music. Some other ideas could be crochet, rollerblading, painting, or even playing the ukulele. Our Wellness Team has Grab & Go Programs to keep your creativity flowing. 
      3. Have a virtual Netflix party: Netflix offers the option for multiple people to watch the same movie from different locations at the same time. If one person were to pause the movie, everyone’s movie would pause. Netflix’s party also has a chat function, so you can discuss the movie while watching it. This is a fun alternative to having a movie night with friends. Unfortunately, with everything going on, weekends aren’t the same, but this is an easy way to enjoy a movie with friends.

4. Use this time to do things you’ve been putting off: We all have a laundry list of things we have been meaning to do. For me, I always tell myself to read more books. I don’t have any excuse anymore with all this extra free time. You could use this time to take an extra class, apply for internships, or update your resume. For more information on applying for jobs/internships, cover letters, and resumes go to the Center for Career and Experiential Education website. URI’s career center has helped me a lot, and you can even speak to career education specialists one-on-one to get advice specifically for you. 
      5. Sign up for a group workout class with URI Campus Recreation: Luckily for our fellow gym rats, the URI gym is still open. The only difference is that you’ll have to wear a mask and book the time slot you want to go ahead of time. Exercise is a great stress reliever, which is why it’s so important to stay active during these times. URI Campus Recreation is offering socially distanced group exercise classes, which is a great way to meet new people! If you still feel wary to go to the gym, URI Campus Recreation offers virtual group classes, which is a great alternative. To see what URI Campus Recreation has to offer and sign up for one of these classes use the IMLeagues.com/uri app or website. They have a variety of classes, so everyone can find something they are interested in!

This year has definitely had its ups and downs, but trying to stay positive is all we can do. Many of you may feel that you are just waiting for time to pass. I know how that feels, but that is not a healthy way to live. We can use this time to do things we have not had the time to do in the past. Do what you can, focus on school, try to meet new people, and stay safe. Remember, this is only temporary!

author: Lisa M.

Headshot of Lisa Marshall

Hi! I’m Lisa, a senior at URI getting my degree in public relations. I have lived in Rhode Island my whole life and decided to continue my education here. I am excited to be working with URI Campus Recreation this semester. With everything going on in 2020, it has sparked my passion for health and wellbeing. During these hard times, I find it’s easy to get into a rut, but I have tried my best to stay positive and focus on what makes me happy. I try to be outdoors as often as I can. I love going to the beach, biking, and just and enjoying the warm weather while I can.”