Coffee Reviews

Coffee: a favorite beverage for many people – but especially New Englanders. I struggle with a caffeine and coffee addiction and find myself needing a nap mid-day if I don’t have my daily cup in the morning. So this week, I decided to go around our local area and try some new coffee places. I will give you a warning – I do take my coffee super sweet and ordered pretty much the same thing every place I go. However, I still had a blast going out with my friends to test different coffee spots around URI and discovering some new favorites.

Logo for TLC1. TLC Coffee Roasters

This may be a controversial one, but I prefer it when other people make my coffee for me, so I was not a fan when I had to put my own milk and sugar in my coffee during my trip to TLC Coffee Roasters. Although, I will say they did have a large array of food and drink items, with LOTS of flavors of coffee. As an indecisive person, I struggled a little bit when it came to my choice of drink, but I ultimately decided on regular iced coffee with cream and sugar, to make it similar to my typical Dunkin’ order, which is regular iced coffee light and sweet. The atmosphere in the restaurant is great, and it’s very close to campus, so I understand why it gets all the hype. However, it wasn’t the best choice for me personally.

Logo for BRU2. BRU RI

Bru is a classic choice for URI students to grab a cup of coffee. Located right at the top of campus near the Kingston Emporium, Bru is a great option for students in between classes to get their daily fix. I’ve been going to Bru for a while with my friends, and the atmosphere there is amazing to get work done, socialize, and eat. There I ordered a medium iced caramel latte, which ended up being a little TOO sweet, but overall I really enjoyed it. Bru tries its best to be involved on campus with students and frequently promotes their shop on social media through giveaways. Popularity isn’t always a bad thing, and I think that Bru deserves the hype on their coffee.

Library at URI3. Starbucks in the Daily Grind Cafe in the URI Library

The latest and greatest edition to come to URI (in my opinion) is the fact that Babe Gertz Cafe in the Engineering building and Daily Grind Cafe in the Carothers library are now serving Starbucks coffee. Everyone knows and loves Starbucks (including myself), so I was so excited to have my first taste of the menu offered on campus. There, I ordered a medium iced coffee with cream and sugar (shocker, I know) but it was just what I needed to get me through my study session at the library. The coffee tasted just like it would at any other Starbucks. The only downside to getting coffee at either of these places is the line. I waited about 15 minutes before getting served, but in my opinion, it was totally worth it.

Logo for Providence Bagel4. Providence Bagel

Another conveniently located shop in the Kingston Emporium, is Providence Bagel, an
underrated spot for coffee. Their menu features many different flavors and food options too. There, I ordered another iced coffee with caramel (you shouldn’t expect anything else at this point) and I will admit, it was a little bitter for me. However, I still enjoyed it and drank the entire thing very quickly. The only complaint I have about this place was the fact that I ate outside and that bees were attacking me the entire time, however, that’s just the price we pay here at URI outside.

Headshot of JulianaHi! I’m Juliana and I’m a sophomore Communications and Journalism student from Brookfield, CT. I can’t wait to continue my passion for writing as a blog writer for InsideRec! Outside of Campus Recreation, I’m also involved in Greek Life, the Good Five Cent Cigar, and URI 101 mentoring. In my free time, you can find me watching the sunset in Narragansett, sitting on the quad with my friends, or in the line at Dunkin’ Donuts. I’m looking forward to writing more blog-style posts and giving advice from my own experiences!

One comment

1. I really wanted to thank you for these marvelous and educational article about coffee. My extensive internet investigation has at the end of the day been recognized with awesome facts to talk about with my friends. I feel lucky to have come across this website and look forward to spend more excellent reading time here. Thanks a lot once again for all the details.