Finding the Perfect Group Exercise Class for You

Listen to a reading of the blog “Finding the Perfect Group Exercise Class for You”

How to Identify Your Interests and Needs in a Group Ex Class Setting

Have you ever been interested in taking a Group Exercise Class with URI Campus Rec but you have zero clue where to start?! Have you thought to yourself that you’re interested in a certain class but are unsure where to sign up? Or how about you want to take a class but are unsure if you can keep up with the instructor? Here are some steps you can take to identify your interests and needs in an exercise class setting, and which class will be the best fit for you.

Step One:

Reflect on your goals and personal interests. What kind of workout are you looking for? At URI, Group Exercise classes are classified into three categories: Mind/Body, GRX, and Cycle. Once you know what kind of exercise you’re looking to get, you can first begin with a category of Group Ex that aligns with your interests.

GroupX Yoga
Here is an inside look at one of our yoga classes in the Mind/Body Studio. This class is a great way to stretch your muscles, improve your balance, and destress from other aspects of your life.

If you have a busy schedule like me when it comes to balancing work, school, and a social life, you may be looking for a class that not only benefits your body but destresses and calms your mind. If this is the case, I would recommend looking into classes within the Mind/Body category. Here you can find classes like Barre, Pilates, Yoga, Meditation, and Capoeira. These are personally some of my favorite classes to take. Having a dance background makes classes like barre and pilates super fun, and yoga is an amazing way for me to unload some stress while stretching my muscles. 

GroupX Body Pump
Body pump classes are a great way to learn the proper form and exercises associated with weight lifting. I definitely feel the burn when I take this class, it’s one of my favorite exercise classes offered at URI!

Say you want to work on muscle strength and sculpting, then I would suggest taking a GRX class! These are going to be classes like Body Pump, Zumba, Glute Camp, and Body Blast. These are great classes if you’re looking for a class with upbeat music, weight-based workouts, and lots of energy! I would definitely recommend trying Body Pump, a class with low weight loads and high repetitions that helps to gain muscle strength, it’s such a fun and effective workout! 

Cycle Class with Angela
This is a picture from one of my cycle classes! I have so much fun teaching these classes, and it’s a great way to include some cardio into your life!

Now maybe you want something cardio and endurance-based, cycle is the way to go! (Being a cycle instructor myself I may be a little biased, but) Cycle classes are such a fun way to incorporate some cardio into your workout routine if you’re like me and the mere thought of running is enough to increase your heart rate and make you start sweating. These classes are in cadence with some of your favorite songs, and simulate an outdoor biking experience that will release all of your endorphins and give you an amazing workout! 

Descriptions of Classes
These are some of the classes we offer here at URI. You can scroll and look through all of the class descriptions to find which classes interest you the most!

(Be sure to check out full class descriptions on the IMLeagues App. Go to Network, then hit the Fitness tab at the top of the screen. From there, select the Classes tab and you can check out the specifics of each class offered at URI!) 

Step Two:

Find a time in your schedule that works best for you. Are you a person that likes to work out in the morning, afternoon, or evening? Do you want a 45-minute class, or a full hour?

URI offers Mind/Body, GRX, and Cycle classes seven days a week, all throughout the day, so there will always be an opportunity to fit an exercise class into your schedule! No matter what time of day you prefer to work out, there’s a class for you to take! Class times will be posted so you’ll know if you’re signing up for 45 minutes or a full hour.

Our classes are usually offered at the same time each week, so if you have a particular class or instructor that you love, you can continue to come back throughout the semester!

I definitely recommend taking as many different classes as you can to find the perfect fit for you. I always say, if you’re even the least bit interested in a particular class, check it out! It may become your new favorite way to work out! And of course, I understand that it can be scary sometimes to jump into a new experience not exactly knowing what to expect, so bring a friend to try it with you!

Step Three:

I’m sure by now you’re saying “Okay, Angela, you’ve convinced me. Now, where do I sign up?” I’m so happy you asked! Let me tell you exactly how you can attend a group exercise class:

All URI students are eligible for free (!!!) group exercise classes with the IMLeagues app. Simply download the IMLeagues app onto your phone, and create an account. The whole process is super easy. 

Logo Picture for IMLeagues

Once you are in IMLeagues.com/uri, go to the Network tab followed by the Fitness tab. There, you will see all of our classes listed for the week. Class registration will open at noon the day before the class, so be sure to get your name on the roster before the slots fill up!

The class time and location will be visible at the top of the screen, so be sure to go to the designated studio inside Anna Fascitelli Fitness & Wellness Center (some classes like Cycle Sculpt and F45 are taught at the Tootell studio).

Be sure to check in with your instructor once you arrive at the studio and enjoy your class!

I can assure you that there is a class here at URI for everyone, no matter what your fitness level, interests, or fitness goals may be. I encourage you to try it out! Group Exercise classes are some of my favorite activities on campus, and a great way to prioritize yourself while still having fun!

Angela HeadshotHi everyone! My name is Angela and I’m a Junior Biology and Psychology double major from Pembroke, MA. As a cycle instructor for URI Campus Recreation, I’m so excited to be writing for Inside Rec, documenting what I’ve learned since starting my personal fitness journey and the benefits of group exercise classes offered here at URI facilities! Outside of Campus Rec, I love spending time with my friends at the beach, traveling to new destinations, or learning to play a new song on my ukulele. I’m looking forward to sharing my experiences with you all as I grow and learn more on my fitness journey!

One comment