7 Simple Things to Be More Mindful

Listen to a reading of the 7 Simple Things to Be More Mindful blog.

As a college student, making time in your day to take care of yourself can be forgotten. The buildup of stress from school, work and social life can take up a lot of energy. Here are a few ways I like to check in with myself to be more mindful. 

Working with Madeline1.Set a morning routine. It’s hard to expect college students to follow a 2 hour long morning routine. We see this on the internet all the time. But shifting something in your morning routine can be more beneficial to a productive day. For example, drinking a glass of water after waking up is a great way to rehydrate after sleeping. 

2. Set a nightly routine. I firmly believe in my nightly routine to unwind from my day. While it is not grandiose or long, it allows me to relax and let go of the day. For example, I am a night shower type of person, and it makes me feel clean and ready to get into bed, and this does not change. 

Madeline's Plants3. Notice the little things. You may not realize the way you take care of yourself during the day. Our natural instinct is to take care of your bodies. Recognize and be grateful for the way you set yourself up for success. For example, I always make sure I carry a snack in my bag. This can be a granola bar or a piece of fruit, but it’s there in case I need it. 

4. Write down what’s on your mind. Obsessing over something that is stressing you out will not solve the problem or make it go away. But, it might be more manageable to accept the stress after writing down your thoughts.Writing will get it out of your head. You could write just a sentence or two about what’s bothering you. This can be on a piece of paper or on your phone so it’s stored away in your notes app. 

5. Observe. If you’re feeling like the world is against you and it’s noticeable, remember that everyone else is too busy worrying about themselves. If you’re starting to feel anxious, pause, look up, and notice how everyone else is focused on their own tasks.

6. Physically move yourself away from what is stressing you out. If you are studying somewhere on campus, move to a different location or find somewhere where you can have a moment of privacy. Sometimes I go for a walk around the building, or to the bathroom. If you have more time in your schedule there are even meditation rooms in Anna Fascitelli you can reserve that will allow you to take a break in your day. 

Madeline's Note7. Breathe. I saved the best for last. I know it sounds silly, but taking a deep breath is the best way to reset. A deep breath is a refreshing tactic that allows you to notice where you are holding onto in your body. Let your shoulders fall and relax your jaw. You got this.

Headshot of MadelineHello there! My name is Madeline Bataille, I’m from Long Valley, New Jersey. I’m a junior Journalism and Spanish major with a minor in Gender and Women’s Studies. I work as a barista at Fuel Coffee bar in Narragansett. You can also see me on campus in my position as the current Photo Editor of The Good Five Cent Cigar. In my free time I like to thrift, do yoga, and play guitar with some friends. This is my first semester being a part of the Campus Rec marketing team as a blog writer and photographer. I am so excited to share my love of well being through this platform and continue to be a part of the Rhody experience!