PJ’s Declassified F45 Training Survival Guide

Listen to a reading of the PJ’s Declassified F45 Training Survival Guide blog.

Fellow students of URI, have you heard about the F45 Training that is offered in a brand new studio right here on campus? If not, don’t worry because I was in that same position not too long ago. After a couple of classes, I feel I’m ready to give you my F45 survival guide, with everything you need to know about one of the best programs URI Campus Recreation has to offer. 

Cycle in F45I’ll first start by saying that the gym ranks as one of my least favorite places on earth. The anxiety of not knowing what I am doing, looking like a fool, and all the people around is just not worth it to me, but F45 might have changed my mind. As organized sports take up less and less of my schedule, finding new ways to be active has become really important to me. That is why F45 is so great because of the feeling of being with a team while learning great exercise routines. So what is it?

What is F45 Training? 

Class of F45Starting in Australia, it’s a series of functional training workouts that are geared towards everyday movements. Surprise, the F in F45 stands for Functional. These workouts are for everybody and anybody looking to feel their best in their day-to-day life. The 45, stands for the total amount of time that you will spend doing different types of workouts that focus on all parts of your body. The 45 minutes goes by super quick though. There are two guides to take you through all the exercises and start you off with a warm-up and a stretch. Then, it is split into three 15 minute sessions, moving to different stations and constantly working on different parts of your body. Before you know it, the 45 minutes are up, and you have gone through all of the stations and can celebrate as a team with everybody for completing the training. 

What are the advantages of F45? 

Trainers F45There are countless advantages to doing the F45 Training. To start, the guides help you every step of the way. They are constantly motivating you to keep going, always supplying positive reinforcement, and, most importantly for me, establishing a comfortable environment from the start of the work out. With the class being so welcoming, it is a great opportunity to learn a routine to do at the gym by yourself, especially if you have never really known what to do. They are also great with giving feedback to improve your technique, so you get the most out of your workout instead of wasting your time. Speaking of wasting time, I love that it is scheduled. It is a quick class, only 45 minutes, so I like that I can schedule it into my calendar. We all have busy schedules, and a million things going on, so to have time set aside for exercise, where I don’t have to think about timing has been good for me. Lastly, you are in a class with like-minded students who are all there for the same reason you are. Personally, the anxiety of going to the gym is what keeps me away, but going to F45 eliminates that stress because I know the students are there for the same reason I am, and we are all doing the same workout together as a team. 

My first F45 experience? 

Movement FunctionalI recently tried out F45 for the first time this semester and I have to say, I hope to make it part of my routine. As someone who never goes to the gym for many reasons, like the people there and the fact I have no clue what I am doing so I will look like a fool, I wish I found the F45 Training sooner. Like I said earlier, they rotate workouts and show you so many different exercises, and more importantly that you are doing them correctly, so I can do an effective routine on my own if I can’t make the class. So finally, I can fear no more looking like a fool in the gym in the future. For now, though, I will continue to go to F45 because it is nice to be in a new studio with music and people around. People who are in the same boat as you, just want a quick workout without the anxiety of being at the gym or having to wait for a machine. That’s why I enjoy it so much just in and out, a little bit less lazy than before. 

Student in F45How do I sign up? 

All you have to do is sign in to your IMLeagues account, where you find all Campus Recreation events, then click on the fitness tab. There you can see F45 Training is offered Monday through Friday multiple times so just pick whichever one fits in your schedule. Once you sign up all you need is workout clothes, water, and a positive attitude, as you enjoy a workout in the new F45 Studio in the Mackal Field House. 

Headshot of PJWhat’s up, team? My name is PJ Sharry, and I am a senior Journalism and Sports Media student in my last semester at URI. I am originally from Worcester, Massachusetts, known back in the day as the three-decker capital of the world, but besides that, the city is mainly only known for the new WooSox or as the birthplace of the smiley face. In my free time, I have always enjoyed being outside and being active, mainly through sports with friends like golf, skiing, or any activity that gets me outside and in nature. Just about any sport or game sounds like fun to me, which is why Campus Recreation has had such a big involvement in my college experience. This is my first semester writing for the Campus Recreation marketing team and I am excited to share how important these programs were to my college experience.