- Clinical Professor of Environmental Communication; Executive Director, Metcalf Institute
- Phone: 401.874.6499
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
In addition to my faculty appointment I serve as executive director of Metcalf Institute, which fosters informed public conversations about science and the environment through professional development for journalists, scientists, and other science communicators. My professional expertise spans oceanography, environmental policy, and inclusive science communication. I work to promote equitable societal participation in STEM through transdisciplinary graduate education, training, and my collaborative efforts to support the growing inclusive science communication community of practice and research.
Ph.D. Oceanography, University of Rhode Island, 2005
B.S. Zoology, Michigan State University, 1995
- Canfield, K. & Menezes, S. 2020. The State of Inclusive Science Communication: A Landscape Study. Metcalf Institute, University of Rhode Island. Kingston, RI. 77 pp.
- Anderson, SI, McDuffie, K, & Menezes, S. (2020). Science Communication for Natural Resource Managers: Techniques and Examples in Marine Systems, In Y.Q. Wang (Ed.), The Handbook of Natural Resource Science Volume 5, Coastal and Marine Environments (2nd ed., pp. 143-150). CRC Press. 10.1201/9780429441004-14.
- Canfield KN, Menezes S, Matsuda SB, Moore A, Mosley Austin AN, Dewsbury BM, Feliú-Mójer MI, McDuffie KWB, Moore K, Reich CA, Smith HM and Taylor C (2020) Science Communication Demands a Critical Approach That Centers Inclusion, Equity, and Intersectionality. Front. Commun. 5:2. doi: 10.3389/fcomm.2020.00002
- Smith H, Menezes S, Canfield K, Guldin R, Morgoch M and McDuffie K (2020) Moving Toward Inclusion: Participant Responses to the Inclusive SciComm Symposium. Front. Commun. 4:77. doi: 10.3389/fcomm.2019.00077
- Menezes S (2018) Science Training for Journalists: An Essential Tool in the Post-Specialist Era of Journalism. Front. Commun.3:4. doi: 10.3389/fcomm.2018.00004
- Menezes, S. January 2018. Science beat: Why niche fellowships and programs are increasingly critical. NewsPro Magazine, pp. 25-26. http://www.crainsnewspro.com/assets/newspro/pdf/2018-01-newspro.pdf
- Smith, H., S. Menezes, & C. Gilbert. 2017. Science training & environmental journalism today: Effects of science journalism training for midcareer professionals, Applied Environmental Education and Communication, DOI: 10.1080/1533015X.2017.1388197
- Menezes, S. 2016. Ten communication tips for translational scientists. Integration and Implementation Insights. https://i2insights.org/2016/07/19/ten-communication-tips/
- NRS 543 – Public Engagement with Science
- NRS 442 – Environmental Crisis Communication
- NRS 542 – Environmental Crisis Communication