Asynchronous Online | Complete in 2 Semesters | 7-Week Sessions
Utilize geospatial technologies to address real world location-based challenges across a variety of industries.
This graduate certificate provides students with highly-sought after skills to include:
- Manage, manipulate, and create data using industry standard desktop software and online tools
- Analyze data and answer location-based questions
- Convey visualizations through hardcopy products, interactive web maps, applications, and story maps
- Create field data production workflows using applications within ESRI’s ArcGIS platform
Building on the long-standing reputation of URI as an international leader in the field of geospatial technology, this program is taught by Research Associates of the Environmental Data Center, a research lab in the Department of Natural Resource Science.
This certificate program provides students with the flexibility to complete the program requirements from anywhere in the world, making it an ideal option for working professionals, military service members, and international students.
EVS509: Web-Based Mapping
NRS570: Geospatial Data Acquisition and Management
NRS571: Techniques in Geospatial Analysis
NRS572: Advanced Topics in Geospatial Data Visualization
NRS573: Emerging Technologies in Geospatial Data Collection
Fall 2023 Dates
- Completion of Bachelor of Science or Bachelor of Arts
- College transcripts from all institutions attended
- Two letters of recommendation
- Resume/CV and personal essay (300-500 words) discussing:
- Interest in the field of GIS and geospatial technologies
- Relevant work experience
- Reasons for applying to the online program at URI
- Professional goals, as well as plans for achieving these goals
The ArcGIS Online that is included in the first course EVS 509, can be accessed with a Mac* or a PC because it is a cloud-based GIS. For the other GIS courses (NRS 570, 571, 572, 573), you will need a PC or a Mac* with Parallels loaded. This will run a virtual Windows machine on the Mac.
Geospatial technologies are prevalent in all economic sectors and are a critical support tool for resource management, planning, emergency management, and community health. Through this online graduate certificate program, students will leverage their data skillset for a variety
of positions in the private and public sector, including public agencies, municipalities, engineering firms, and NGOs.
Potential GIS career opportunities for students:
- Geospatial Analyst
- GIS Consultant
- Database Administrator
- Web App Developer
“Now is the time to obtain skills in the rapidly evolving field of geospatial technologies. The power and reach of these tools for data collection, analysis, interpretation and presentation has never been more apparent.”
GISP Research Associate IV
Get in touch.
URI Online Student Support Center
Jason Parent, Ph.D.
Request more information about URI Online’s GIS and Geospatial Graduate Certificate.
Tuition & Fees
Learn about tuition and fees for URI Online’s GIS and Geospatial Graduate Certificate.