Nikita Maryanov ’23

The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University via the URI-Brown Early Identification Program

After graduating: Certified Flight/Critical Care Paramedic and worked full-time for a municipal 911 EMS service since his medical school acceptance, with participation in EMS research as well. Exploring interests in acute resuscitation with plans to pursue a career in Emergency Critical Care

Nikita’s Advice: I have two pieces of advice that I believe have helped me tremendously. 1) Find your passion/interests. Students, especially pre-medical or pre-PA students hear this ad-nauseum…I know I did. Although this sounds cliche, my experience has proved it is not. If you find experiences that genuinely interest you, this passion will be much easier to convey in interviews and personal statements. More importantly, it will guide your own experience and make you unique as a student. 2) Don’t compare. It’s been said that comparison is the thief of joy – and in a hyper competitive environment, this is frequently true. Now, this is real life and in some sense, you need to be aware of where you stand amongst your peers to know your overall competitiveness and suitability for a goal. However, you cannot allow comparison to cloud your judgement. Focus on your own journey. Remember – your brain will always compare your worst to someone else’s best. Don’t let it! 

At URI: Majored in Biological Sciences. Pursued extracurriculars in areas of clinical and non-clinical volunteering, teaching opportunities, and church life.

How was pre-health advising a service to you?

From the very beginning, [the pre-health team] was incredibly knowledgeable and offered meaningful advice. After making it my intention to pursue the EIP pathway early in my education, Dr. Simmons helped outline the process and set appropriate goals. He provided specific advice on potentially beneficial experiences but provided enough room for me to cultivate my own interests and, to be more blunt, put in the requisite work for a career that has a high barrier-to entry.