Renee Bourgault, ’20

Johnson and Wales University PA Program

At URI: Graduated summa cum laude; majored in Health Studies with a focus in Health Promotion. First responder at URI EMS. Nationally Certified EMT. URI Tour Guide and Tour Guide Trainer. URI Orientation Leader. Alternative Spring Break Volunteer. Feinstein Civic Engagement Leader. College of Health Science Advisory Committee. Medical supervisor counselor at a summer camp. Member of Pre-PA Club, Delta Epsilon Mu pre-health fraternity, and Rotaract club.

After graduating: Gained patient care experience as an oculoplastic surgical assistant at Rizzuto Eyelid and Facial Plastic Surgery, and as a volunteer ophthalmology tech at the RI Free Clinic. Volunteer tutor with Sprout and STEM.

Renee’s Advice: My biggest piece of advice is to make the most out of your time at URI. It takes some solid time management skills, but it is possible to get good grades, participate in extracurriculars, and enjoy your time in college. You should get to know your professors and classmates because they will always be there for you. Try not to lose sight of your goals, but be sure to welcome new experiences. I met so many great people in my pre-health organizations, but I also made some of my best friends on my tour guide and orientation teams. While working as an orientation leader, I got to reflect on my “Rhody Mission.” I discovered that my mission is to make the world a brighter place for others. This helped me immensely when I was applying to PA schools and participating in interviews. Now as a PA student, I think back to what I learned at URI, and look forward to bringing some brightness to my future patients.