Alexia Martins, Speech-Language Pathology Graduate Student

Alexia Martins graduated from the University of Rhode Island in May with a Master’s degree in Speech-Language Pathology and recently defended her master’s thesis, Rapid Automatized Naming (RAN) and Real Word Reading Fluency: An Eye-Tracking Study. Her thesis was based on data from the RI-INBRE Early Career Development (ECD) project awarded to Co-Investigators Dr. Vanessa Harwood and Dr. Alisa Baron (2019-2021). Alexia was involved in the RI-INBRE ECD project entitled Neurobiological Markers of Language and Literacy in Bilingual Children, since its inception and shared her story with us.

Martins become interested in science as an undergraduate student, “I became a teacher’s assistant for Dr. Harwood and during that time, Drs. Harwood and Baron were starting their two projects. As a highly motivated student who is always looking for experiences to broaden my clinical skills, it was an easy ‘yes’ when they asked me to participate. I quickly learned the exciting elements of data collection for both studies (Autism study and Bilingual Literacy Study) and lab management of participants and research assistants.”

Alexia participated in two studies that incorporated EEG and eye-tracking technology along with behavioral measures. “The Autism study looked at how individuals with Autism and their parents integrate audio and visual information” and “the bilingual literacy study looked at the neurophysiological aspects of reading in monolingual and bilingual first and second graders.

Following graduation with her Master’s degree, Alexia’s plan is to build her clinical skills by getting a job at an elementary school as a Speech-Language Pathologist and shared “I will always keep my love for research and possibly pursue a Ph.D. in the future.”