Join Us–STEEP Science Day June 7th
Cape Cod residents are invited to attend STEEP Science Day in Hyannis at the Barnstable Town Hall (directions)
This event is sponsored by STEEP and coordinated by its Community Engagement Core, which includes the Silent Spring Institute. The local community is invited to meet the team, hear updates on research findings to date as well as future directions. In turn, the community is encouraged to voice their concerns, ask for clarification of research, learn what is and is not known about adverse health effects, and get involved with ongoing STEEP activities. Over the life of the STEEP program, private well testing will be offered and continue to provide Cape residents with guidance for reducing exposure to PFAS.
10:00 – 11:30 am Hear another community’s story
- Watch the documentary, The Island and the Whales, which highlights a community in Northern Europe where residents are reducing their consumption of whale meat due to health concerns related to PFAS in the food web.
- Have a follow-up conversation with Harvard researcher Dr. Philippe Grandjean.
11:30 – 12:30 pm Share your concerns
- Talk with STEEP scientists and graduate students (light refreshments served).
12:30 – 2:45 pm Meet and greet STEEP experts
- Hear about their latest research on highly fluorinated chemicals (PFASs). More details.
3:00 – 4:00 pm Protect Your Water. Tap Into Science
- Option One: Tour the Hyannis Water System’s drinking water treatment plant.
- Option Two: Be inspired by STEEP’s future scientists.
- Option Three: Tell us what additional information you want. Let us know if our materials are serving you well.
ASL Interpreters will be available
Need more background on STEEP’s commitment to the Cape Cod community, what STEEP will and will not address, and how you can help? Background information.