Tuition Residency

Tuition Residency

As a Student using GI Bill® benefits, you may qualify for in-state tuition...

Tuition Residency

As a student using GI Bill® benefits, you may qualify for in-state tuition. To see if you are eligible, please refer to the state’s Residency PolicyIf you feel you qualify for in-state tuition, please email VA Benefits Coordinator, Nancy Pendergast at for more information.



Students using VA educational benefits under Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill®) or Chapter 31 (VR&E) to pay for tuition are exempt from late payment penalties while receipt of VA payment is pending, in accordance with the “Veterans Benefits and Transition Act of 2018.”

To be eligible for this exemption, the student must furnish the VA Certificate of Eligibility as well as the Veteran’s Verification Form and any additional information needed for proper certification no later than the first day of classes

Step by step guide:

  1. Fill out the proper form above. 
  2. Send an email copy with application and all of the required documents to the VA Benefits Coordinator Nancy Pendergast:
  3. If you are a student using VR&E or chapter 31, you will not have a Certificate of Eligibility. You will have a PO number from your VR&E counselor sent directly to the school. Please contact if you need to confirm we have your PO number. 
  4. You also MUST send admissions a copy of your paperwork with a wet signature on the form for records. You can mail or drop off the application and other materials to the address on the form above. 


Commonly Asked Questions:

What if I need to defer my enrollment due to military service or medical need?

Students admitted to the University of Rhode Island may request to defer their matriculation for one semester. Your request must be in writing and emailed to Debbie Suggs at with a subject line of “Deferral Request.” URI routinely grants these requests, and students will receive written notification of deferral approval. Requests are reviewed on a case-by-case basis.

Requests for year-long deferrals are only granted in cases of military service, medical issues, or documented gap years.

Please look at URI’s website on the deferral process here for more details on deferring attendance at URI. 

More information can be found in the FAQ section in the About Tab. You can access this by clicking here!