Students with a business major may not minor in another business area. However, students in non-business majors interested in gaining business skills to complement their major may declare general business as a minor.
Because business majors must be accommodated first, approval of a minor does not guarantee space in BUS 201, 341, or 365 during the fall or spring semester. Taking those courses in the summer is recommended.
The General Business Minor Form (PDF) must be approved by both the dean of the College of Business and the dean of the student’s major College.
Requirements for the minor
The minor in general business is 18 credits, as noted below:
1. Required Courses
ECN 201 or EEC 105 Microeconomics
BUS 201 Financial Accounting
2. Select one of the following:
BUS 140 Intro to Business
BUS 202* Managerial Accounting
ECN 202* Macroeconomics
3. Select three of the following:
BUS 310* Applications of Microcomputer Software
BUS 320* Financial Management
BUS 341 Organizational Behavior
BUS 355* Operations and Supply Chain Management
BUS 365* Marketing Principles
BUS 443* Organizational Design and Change
BUS 448 International Dimensions of Business (senior standing required)
BUS 449* Entrepreneurship (senior standing required)
BUS 450 Small Business
BUS 468* Global Marketing
* Prerequisite must be met in order to enroll in this course.
For the following majors, substitutions for specific courses above are noted below:
- Economics majors: ECN 201 or EEC 105 does not count toward the minor; instead, select two courses from section 2. Substitute BUS 315 for ECN 202.
- Health Studies majors: ECN 201 or EEC 105 does not count toward the minor; instead, select two courses from section 2.
- Textile Fashion Design majors: Substitute BUS 315 for ECN 202.
- Public Relations majors: Substitute BUS 315 for BUS 365.