The Academic Skills Center at the URI Providence campus is located on the second floor of the Shepard Building in Room 239. The Center offers a variety of services to all URI students which include tutoring, disability services, and workshops.
The Center helps students:
- Achieve academic success
- Arrange accommodations
- Communicate with professors
- Identify appropriate resources
- Problem solve
- Develop effective coping strategies such as tie management and stress management skills
- Build an on-going relationship with The Center
Tutoring Services assist students who would like to sharpen their learning skills and improve their academic performances. Tutors are available in Writing, Math, Science, Computers, Psychology, and Spanish.
Students who may need tutoring assistance in other disciplines should contact the office at (401) 277-5221. Tutors are knowledgeable, supportive and eager to work with the diverse population within the College of Education and Professional Studies. Tutorials are provided free of charge for all URI students.
Tutoring hours for each semester are posted in the office and online. Students may also walk-in or make an appointment.
Disability Services for Students
Disability Services for Students works with students to foster an inclusive, welcoming, and accessible environment. In addition, it supports student academic success, independence, and self-advocacy.
- Recommends and coordinates reasonable accommodations
- Encourages student development through self-advocacy and personal decision making
- Supports student commitment to academic success and retention
- Provides information to faculty and administrators regarding disability awareness and inclusion
- Helps develop effective coping strategies, such as time management, study skills, stress management, navigating the campus, etc.
Students with documented disabilities who would like to arrange for accommodations should visit The Center or call (401) 277-5221 for an appointment.
For additional information, visit Room 239 or call (401) 277-5221. All services are free to URI students.