Course and Exam Accommodations
Step by Step Guide to Course and Exam Accommodations
Follow this procedure for each and every semester
• Make sure your documentation of disability is current. For most students the documentation given when they enter URI is sufficient, but we may need to ask for updates from time to time.
• The accommodation process begins as soon as you schedule a meeting with a DSS counselor by calling the office at 401-874-2098. (We are available for appointments before each semester – even when classes are not in session!)
• During your appointment, discuss the appropriate and reasonable accommodations you might need for that semester.
• Your DSS counselor will send you an e-mail with your semester accommodation letters attached.
• Send each professor the letter for their course and set up a time to meet privately to discuss your accommodations for the semester.
• Remind the professor in a timely manner (one week in advance) for each of the accommodations which require their active participation (for example, getting extra time on tests or needing separate test space). There is an ACADEMIC TESTING CENTER that may be helpful. Tell your professor.
• Let DSS know immediately of any problems.
• Meet with DSS at the beginning of EVERY semester to discuss your schedule and needs.
At any point during the semester…
• A DSS counselor can meet with you to discuss study skills, time management, and other concerns or issues that may arise.
• Regular meetings are available for students who could benefit from extra support.