Housing Accommodations: A Step-by-Step Guide
Follow this procedure for each and every year
The University of Rhode Island provides accommodations to ensure accessibility of on-campus housing for undergraduate and graduate students with permanent or temporary needs.
- Students with or without disabilities must follow all Housing & Residential Life registration procedures for on-campus housing by the published deadline. Please see the HRL website for details or contact your RA. Students who are eligible for on-campus housing are either current residents or first year students.
- For current residents returning: March of the Current Year; assignment procedures and accommodation requests are for the following year.
- For entering 1st year accepted students: at the time of your commitment to URI, usually May 1st (or later for late admissions) and prior to your first semester.
- Verify that you have adequate documentation of disability or medical condition to substantiate your request for housing accommodations. See Documentation Guidelines. Accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis and are based on current documentation of need. Documentation must substantiate the requested accommodations.
- Housing Accommodation requests are made before the official room selection process begins. Please notify Disability Services for Students of your need for a housing accommodation as soon as possible:
- Requests must be in writing,
- Requests can be made by appointment for on-campus and local students or by e-mail for out-of state students.
- Contact us for an appointment (in person or by phone) at 401-874-2098 firstname.lastname@example.org).
We will discuss your accommodation request and will work with you to be sure that your documentation is adequate to support the accommodation(s) you are requesting.
- Disability Services will then be in contact with Housing and Residential Life to inform them of our recommendations about the accommodations for which you are eligible.Housing accommodations may include but are not limited to:
Wheelchair Accessible housing
Single room housing or reduced occupancy
Adaptive equipment in-room
After the deadline or after assignments are made: We cannot guarantee that recommended adjustments and/or changes to housing assignments will be available. However, there is a standard room change process available every year; and there is a late application/waiting list process. We will support students with disabilities in following appropriate procedures through the Housing and Residential Life Office and will make our best effort to secure reasonable and appropriate housing accommodations.