Stephen A. Desposito
Aspiring Teacher Memorial Scholarship
Established in memory of Stephen A. Desposito ’73, ’77, the Aspiring Teacher Scholarship is awarded annually to student(s) admitted to the School of Education who demonstrate leadership, passion to teach middle level students, and best exemplify the many talents of “Mr. D.” (as outlined below). The recipient is selected by the University’s School of Education faculty.
Undergraduate or Master’s/Teacher Certification (MA/TCP) students at the University of Rhode Island who have been admitted to the School of Education, and plan to student teach in a middle school, are eligible to apply.
Selection is based on the following characteristics, which Mr. Desposito demonstrated in his career as a Rhode Island middle level teacher, principal, teacher leader, and URI teacher educator:
- dedication to teaching all students;
- compassion for individuals;
- enthusiasm to teach adolescents;
- strong written and oral communication skills;
- ability to work well with colleagues; and
- strengths as a mentor, team member or coach to others.
- Write an applicant statement that describes and provides evidence of each of the above attributes. Be sure to highlight why you are especially interested in teaching middle level students. This statement should be 1-3 pages, word-processed, 12-point font, and double-spaced.
- Complete application form
- Send materials to:
University of Rhode Island
Director, School of Education
Attn: Stephen A. Desposito Aspiring Teacher Scholarship
705 Chafee Social Science Center
Kingston, RI 02881
Application deadline: May 1st annually
Decisions will be announced by September 5th annually
For more information, contact URI’s School of Education at 401.874.4068