University of Rhode Island/RI State Fire Safety Code
1. Permit required. No bonfire* shall be constructed on University property except under a permit from the University’s Department of Public Safety.
- The permit shall be completed and delivered to Public Safety no less than 48 hours prior to the planned event.
- The permit shall not be issued for period exceeding 30 days and shall be revocable with or without cause.
- Application shall be made on forms provided by Public Safety and, when deemed necessary, include plans drawn to scale, showing arrangements and details of the planned event.
2. Person in Charge. One person, the permittee, shall be designated as the person-in-charge of the bonfire and the assembly who shall manage both under the conditions set forth in the University’s Fire Safety Policy: Bonfires.
3. Location. Permitted bonfires shall be located not less than 50 feet from any structure, automobile, combustible materials- including foliage. Public Safety shall confer with Lands & Grounds as to whether the selected location is appropriate.
4. Burn times. Burning times shall be prescribed on the permit by S&RM.
- If the event is postponed for any reason, the permittee shall resubmit the request with the new date/time.
5. Firewatch. Bonfires shall be constantly attended by the permittee until such fire is extinguished. The permittee shall have a garden hose connected to a water supply or other fire extinguishing equipment readily available for use.
6. Public Safety shall retain the authority to prohibit any permitted bonfires when atmospheric conditions or local circumstances (brush fire warnings, local disturbances, etc.) make such fires hazardous.
7. Notice. Notice of the permitted event shall be made to the Kingston Fire Department and the URI Police by the permittee.
8. Construction. Assembly and construction of the bonfire, including the nature of the ignition source and fuel, shall be as prescribed in the permit by permittee.
9. A burn permit MUST BE ISSUED. They may be obtained from the South Kingstown Police Station. *Note: the Department of Public Safety reserves the right to rescind this permit at any time with or without cause.