How to Apply to the MAF Program at URI
International students are strongly advised to carefully read and follow the application instructions provided by the URI Graduate School.
Please review the information below before beginning the application process.
Deadlines for Fall admission
- Jan 15 – Applicants wishing to be considered for URI teaching or research assistantship funding
- Feb. 1 – International student applicants
- April 15 – All applicants wishing to be considered for Fall admission
You do not need a MAF faculty advisor when you are applying for admission, though you are encouraged to contact potential advisors before you apply (especially if you are applying to the PhD program). You will meet many of the faculty active in the program in your first semester and will discover then who works on issues of interest to you.
When you are ready to apply click here.
Additional information for international applicants may be found here: http://web.uri.edu/graduate-school/apply/international-applicants/
1) ONLINE PORTION OF THE APPLICATION
If you have not previously applied to the University of Rhode Island, you will need to create a New Applicant User Account. Choose “New” from the application home page and follow the instructions. NOTE: Keep a copy of your security and password information. If you already have an account and are unable to retrieve your logon information using the “Forget Password” function, contact the Office of Graduate Admissions at (401) 874-2872 for assistance.
To complete the online application, you will need to provide the following:
- Personal contact and demographic information
- Residency status (refer to Residency Guidelines if you are unsure of your status)
- Intended start term
- Plan of study to which you seek admission (MMA, MAMA, PhD)
- Educational background (undergraduate institution, major, GPA, etc.)
- Resume/CV – Showing education, work, volunteer, teaching, service experience, and publications (as appropriate). Add as an attachment to your application.
- Note that MMA applicants must show five years of experience in a maritime-related field OR an existing masters degree.
- Testing information – the General GRE taken within past 5 years is required for all MAMA and PhD applicants (not required for MMA applicants).
- Please key in your testing date and arrange for an official score report to be sent directly to URI; our ETS institution code 3919 and you do not need to specify a department code.
- Please refer to the ETS web site for information on testing dates and reporting schedules.
- International students whose native language is not English are required to submit official results of the TOEFL or IELTS exam taken within the past 2 years.
- Personal statement – you should prepare your 1-3 page statement in a word processing program and then copy and paste your statement directly into the space provided. Tell us about:
- your professional goals
- where you want to be when you complete the MAF program
- what your passions are
- what attracts you to the program
- who on the faculty you might like to work with (and why)
- why you are an exciting candidate for MAF.
- additional guidelines to help you prepare your statement are provided here.
- Letters of Recommendation – two letters are required.
- Enter the names, e-mail addresses and date of your request for each referee.
- The referees will receive instructions for uploading their letters to the online system.
- Referees will receive this message from the application system immediately after you save your application with their names and e-mails entered.
- We recommend you notify your recommenders beforehand because the messages sometimes go to SPAM or Trash folders if security settings are high.
- If for some reason your referees are unable to use the online system, they may mail a hard copy directly to the MAF department
- Unofficial Transcripts – Please attach your unofficial transcripts as PDFs. Official transcripts will be required upon admission.
- Writing Sample for PhD Applicants only – Please attach PDF(s) of at least one example of your writing (e.g., masters thesis, published article)
- Signature – type your name and the submission date to verify your application.
- Application Fee – nonrefundable $65 application fee payable by credit card or electronic check. Applications cannot be processed until the $65 fee is paid.
2) SUPPORTING DOCUMENTS If accepted, you will need to mail to the MAF program:
- Official Transcripts – one copy of an official, sealed and stamped transcript from your undergraduate institution and graduate institution (if applicable)
- Residency affidavit – if you are a Rhode Island resident seeking to be billed at the in-state tuition rate, you will need to provide documentation of your residency status as outlined in the Rhode Island Residency Guidelines.
Address all supplemental materials to:
ATTN: MAF PROGRAM
200 Coastal Institute in Kingston
1 Greenhouse Road
University of Rhode Island
Kingston, RI 02881
READY TO APPLY TO MAF? Click here.