College of Business Administration

Ballentine Hall, 7 Lippitt Road, Kingston, RI 02881

admitcba@etal.uri.edu401.874.2337

URI
Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

S. Kent Fannon ’74

Kent Fannon
  • Major: Accounting
  • Degree: B.S. 1974
  • Position: Partner, Chartwell Partners

What are some of the ways your experience at URI and the College of Business have had an impact on your career path?

My URI accounting degree, as well as other COB and non-COB courses created a base of knowledge and critical thinking, and when combined with my MBA, directly led to being hired in my first two corporate positions.

When you think about your experience as a business student at URI, what are some of the most valuable lessons you learned?

In addition to technical knowledge and skills, I gained the ability to transfer that “book” knowledge into useful tools to use in my career.

What were the best parts of your URI experience?

The camaraderie in the COB, my involvement with WRIU, the many friends I made, and meeting my wife.

What is most interesting to you about business in today’s world? The most challenging?

In today’s business world, what’s most interesting to me are the common threads across many different industries and the interconnectivity across the world. What’s most challenging is staying current with the technological changes and advancements.

What advice would you give to a student today considering a major in business?

Take the time to explore as many different subject areas as possible while trying to become proficient in at least one of them.

What do you believe is most important for a new grad entering the workforce to understand?

Perhaps unlike their parents or grandparents, it’s increasingly unlikely they will only work for one company in their career. My advice is to learn from every role you have, exceed expectations, and then be willing to move on to a new challenge.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top