University of Rhode Island
Department of Computer Science and Statistics
The Department of Computer Science and Statistics in the College of Arts and Sciences (A&S) at the University of Rhode Island invites applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor of Statistics position with appointment to begin the academic year 2023-2024.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The selected candidate for this position will be expected to teach a variety of undergraduate and graduate courses in statistics, develop new statistics classes at the undergraduate and graduate level, keep an active research program, seek external funding, advise and supervise graduate students in statistics or related fields (through joint supervisions), participate in service activities and provide consulting services to students and other faculty in the Department, College and University.
- Ph.D. with a concentration in statistics, biostatistics or closely related fields (degree must be earned prior to 31 August 2023).
- Demonstrated ability to conduct academic research and publish in peer-reviewed journals.
- Demonstrated ability and interest in teaching graduate and/or undergraduate courses in statistics.
- Demonstrated ability to develop and maintain a collaborative and internally/externally funded research program in statistics and/or related fields.
- Demonstrated ability to incorporate inclusion, diversity, and educational equity in teaching and scholarship.
6 . Demonstrated ability to work with diverse groups/populations.
- Demonstrated strong interpersonal and oral communication skills
- Demonstrated strong written communication skills
- While all areas of methodological and applied research in statistics or related fields will be fully considered, statisticians with research interests in areas such as Bayesian methods, functional data analysis, dimension reduction methods, large dataset analysis, image data analysis, experimental design, tensor data analysis, neural data analysis, meta-analysis, environmental statistics or social statistics are especially encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated ability to develop curriculum at the undergraduate and graduate levels.
- Demonstrated ability and/or experience advising and/or mentoring students.
- Demonstrated interest in developing collaborative research and/or consulting to support the interdisciplinary nature of programs within the Department and the University as a whole.
- Demonstrated commitment and/or interest to participate in service and outreach committees.
- Ability to improve recruitment and retention of undergraduate and graduate students, particularly students from underrepresented communities.
ALL REQUIREMENTS ARE SUBJECT TO POSSIBLE MODIFICATION TO REASONABLY ACCOMMODATE INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES.
This is an open until filled search. First consideration will be given to applications received by Dec 15, 2022. Second consideration may be given to applications received by Feb 15, 2023. Applications received subsequent to second consideration date (Feb 15, 2023) may not be given full consideration.
SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS FOR APPLICANTS
Applications must be submitted directly online only at: https://jobs.uri.edu/postings/10874
Please attach the following 5 (PDF) documents to your online Faculty Profile Application:
- Cover letter including a description of how your qualifications match the requirements for the position.
- Curriculum Vitae that includes your research interests, education history, a list of publications and awards, a list of courses taught or assisted, titles of conference presentations, consulting experience, and mentoring/advising experience (as one complete document).
- Teaching statement (limited to two pages) and teaching evaluations (if applicable) as a single document.
- Research statement (limited to three pages) as one complete document.
- Statement on Diversity (limited to one page) – Please address how your cultural, experiential or academic background contribute to the promotion of diversity at URI (as one complete document).
In addition, please ask 3 referees to send a letter of recommendation by email to: Statistics Search Committee Chair, Department of Computer Science and Statistics, URI, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org