- Associate Professor
- Secondary Education
- Phone: 401.874.4162
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Minsuk Shim is an Associate Professor at the University of Rhode Island, teaching both undergraduate and graduate courses in Educational Psychology, Measurements, and Research Methods. She has taught and worked with many doctoral students in the joint Ph.D. program in Education. Her interests and expertise in research methods have been applied in many educational policy research on educational reforms, assessment, science education, and instructional technology.
- Educational Policy and Research Methodology
- Multilevel, longitudinal method (HLM): School effectiveness in student achievement outcomes
- Educational Reforms: Statewide accountability, instructional practices, assessments
- Instructional Technology: Mobile computing, Web-based courseware
- Science Education (CAREERS): Inquiry-based science instruction at elementary schools
- Ph.D., Educational Psychology, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, 1995
- M.A., Educational Psychology, University of British Columbia, 1990
- B.A., Teacher Education (Secondary English), Seoul National University, 1982
Deeney, T., & Shim, M. (2016). Teachers’ and students’ views of reading fluency: Issues of consequential validity in adopting one-minute reading fluency assessments. Assessment for Effective Intervention, 41(2), 109-126.
Younes, S., Ciccomascolo, L., & Shim, M. (2013). Climate and Motivation for Women Athletes in Palestine. ICHPER‐SD Journal of Research. Vol. 8. No. 1. 12 – 19.
Sullivan‐Watts, B. K., Nowicki, B. L., Shim, M. K., & Young, B. J. (2012). Sustaining Reform‐ Based Science Teaching of Preservice and Inservice Elementary School Teachers. Journal of Science Teacher Education. Vol. 23. 879 – 905.
Nowicki, B. L., Sullivan‐Watts, B., Shim, M. K., Young, B. & Pockalny, R. (2012). Factors Influencing Science Content Accuracy in Elementary Inquiry Science Lessons. Research in Science Education. Vol. 42. 1135 ‐ 1154.
Shim, M. K., Young, B. J., & Paolucci, J. (2010). Elementary Teachers’ Views on the Nature of Scientific Knowledge: A Comparison of Inservice and Preservice Teachers. The Electronic Journal of Science Education. Vol. 14 No. 2. 18p.
Brand, S., Felner, R. D., Shim, M., Seitsinger, A., & Dumas, T. (2003). Assessing School Climate in Middle School Improvement and Reform: The Development and Validation of a School‐level Assessment of Climate. Journal of Educational Psychology, 95 (3), 570‐588.
Shim, M. K., & Shim, S. J. (2001). Mobile computing in higher education: Faculty perceptions of benefits and barriers. Journal of Educational Technology Systems, 29 (4), 345‐354.