Option in Geological Oceanography
The B.S. in Geology and Geological Oceanography at the University of Rhode Island is obtained through a combination of:
- General Education courses
- Supporting Science courses
- A core series of Geosciences courses; and
- A series of Oceanography courses including a undergraduate research project.
Core Geoscience Courses
All Geosciences majors take a suite of courses that are basic to the Geosciences degree. These courses are:
- GEO 103 – Understanding the Earth (4 credits)
- GEO 204 – Evolution of Earth (4 credits)
- GEO 210 – Landforms: Origin and Evolution (4 credits)
- GEO 320 – Earth Materials (4 credits)
- GEO 370 – Structure of the Earth (4 credits)
- GEO 450 – Introduction to Sedimentary Geology (4 credits)
- OCG 301 General Oceanography or OCG 451 Oceanographic Science
- OCG 440 Geological Oceanography
- Oceanography elective (400-level or above)
- OCG 493/494 Geological Oceanography Research Project
The B.S. in Geology & Geological Oceanography with an Option in Geological Oceanography requires 1 year each, of calculus, physics, chemistry, and biology, and a course in either computer science or statistics (totaling between 33-35 credits).
All majors are encouraged to engage in undergraduate research with a Geoscience faculty member. The exposure to cutting-edge Geoscience research engages students outside of the typical classroom setting, while also reinforces learned concepts. All faculty members routinely take students for research during semester and the experience can be used as credit towards a majors degree.
General Education Courses
The general education course requirement is a University-wide policy designed to build a basic academic foundation for all undergraduates. A total of forty credits is required. A number of courses required for the Option in Geology satisfy the general education requirement. More information can be obtained from URI Academic Advising.
Suggested sequence of Courses
|Fall (15)||Spring (14)|
|URI 101||GEO 210|
|GEO 103||CHM 101, 102|
|NRS 100||MTH 131|
|EEC 105||Gen. Ed. elective|
|MTH 103/111 (if needed)|
|Fall (14)||Spring (17)|
|GEO 204||GEO 320|
|MTH 132||PHY 111, 186|
|CHM 112, 114||STA 308|
|Gen Ed. elective||Gen Ed. elective|
|Fall (15)||Spring (14-15)|
|GEO 370||GEO 450|
|BIO 101, 103||BIO 102, 104|
|PHY 112, 114||OCG 440|
|Gen Ed. elective||Supporting elective|
|Fall (17)||Spring (17)|
|OCG 4XX||OCG 451**|
|OCG 493 / 494||Gen. Ed. elective|
|Supporting elective||Supporting elective|
|Gen. Ed. elective||Supporting elective|
|Gen. Ed. elective|
**Students may elect OCG 451 (Spring course) in lieu of OCG 301.
Number of free electives will vary depending on the supporting science and Geoscience electives selected and the number of credits for field camp.