Become a Peer Ambassador
Are you interested in getting involved with the global community at URI?
As a recently returned education abroad participant, you are uniquely qualified to understand the challenges of living and studying in another culture and to welcome international students to URI. This is a great opportunity to become involved in the URI global community, develop professional life skills, and make new friends.
About the Program
The Peer Ambassador Program represents a comprehensive, cross-cultural and educational experience. There are presentations, seminars, and social events offered throughout the academic semester and, as a Peer Ambassador, you will participate in specialized programming that enriches international students’ experiences in the United States, as well as facilitate education abroad programming efforts. This program is designed to encourage peer bonding that is sometimes difficult to achieve when in a foreign country – feeling that is often familiar to students who have studied away.
This Peer Ambassador program is a volunteer position offered through the URI International Center. Ambassadors will have the opportunity to enhance their own professional development through leadership and communication activities.
Peer Ambassador Responsibilities
- Be a resource and connection to campus for international undergraduate and exchange students.
- Promote study abroad as a valuable experience that helps students to achieve academic, personal, professional, and cultural growth.
- Translate your study abroad experience into career skills by working with the Office of International Education (OIE) on recruitment and cross-cultural experiences.
- Represent the International Center in a professional manner.
Peer Ambassadors are expected to adhere to the following guidelines:
- When interacting with students be mindful of the cultural differences and how these factors may compound or alter their interpretations of persons and/or events in their surroundings.
- Stay in contact with students throughout the semester reminding them that you are available if they have questions or concerns.
- Encourage students to participate in URI campus life (e.g. clubs, athletic activities, trips, and International Center sponsored events).
- Refer students’ concerns to the Peer Ambassador Coordinator
Office of International Education and National Student Exchange
Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST
37 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI, 02881
To schedule an appointment, log into Starfish, search for International Education and National Student Exchange and select the advisor based on your college.