Study Abroad

Your Academic Plan

How will your study abroad experience, and the courses you select fit into your academic plan?

Your time spent off-campus will enrich your overall academic experience, and careful planning will ensure that you stay on track and achieve your goals. You should meet with your academic advisor to ensure that your study away program is aligned with your degree requirements and graduation plans.

Earning credit during your off-campus study program

There are two ways in which to earn credit towards a URI degree while participating on an off-campus study program:

1. Students are enrolled in URI courses while on a program.  They will earn URI credit and grades that are calculated into their URI Grade Point Average.
2. Students are enrolled in URI-approved courses at another institution and receive an official transcript from the host school or School of Record.  They may earn transfer credit as long as the following standards outlined in the University of Rhode Island’s University Manual are achieved:

  • Transfer credit may be given in those courses in which the student received a grade equivalent to a “C” (2.00) or better, but no credit shall be given for courses in which an equivalent of a  “C -” or lower was earned.
  • Grades earned via the transfer credit process are not calculated into a student’s URI Grade Point Average.
  • To receive transfer credit earned while participating in a URI-approved, off-campus study program, students must obtain prior approval from the appropriate department chair and the academic dean of their college via the URI Prior Approval Process.
  • Institutions around the world may have an academic process that use a different grading and credit system from URI’s grading and credit system. It is the responsibility of the participant to consult the URI Office of International Education & National Student Exchange to determine how credits taken on an off-campus program will transfer back to URI and what grades at the host institution/program meet the URI standard for earning transfer credit.

It is the student’s responsibility to ensure that an official transcript of the approved off-campus study academic work is sent back to the URI Office of International Education & National Student Exchange within one month from the end of program.

Be mindful that the official transcript from the host institution and/or School of Record will list the course(s) attempted and grade(s) earned. Future employers, graduate schools, and other entities may request these records during their hiring process or as part of their program application.

Important: Students on an off-campus study semester program must be enrolled in the equivalent of at least 12 URI credits for each semester abroad. This is to maintain full-time matriculation status at URI while on Off-Campus Study (OCS).  Dropping below full-time matriculation may affect a student’s scholarships, grants, and/or loans, as well as the loan repayment timeline.

In general, before departing from your off-campus academic program, be sure you:

  • Make arrangements to have your official transcript from your off-campus program(s) sent to the OIE – 37 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI 02881;
  • Reconcile any loose ends from your study away institution that could delay the release of your official transcript, especially if you are graduating after your off-campus experience;
  • Obtain a few copies of your official transcript, for your own records;
  • Upon receipt of your official transcript from your study away institution, we will transfer your coursework credit to your URI transcript.

Graduating Seniors

If you are a senior graduating at the end of your term abroad/away, please consider the following:

  • Speak with your academic advisor about your degree audit to ensure that this is taken care of before your departure;
  • Speak with your Education Abroad Advisor so that the OIE is aware of your graduation date;
  • You may need to expedite the official transcript from your host institution to URI at the end of your term so that your credits transfer in time for your degree to be conferred by your scheduled date.

Contact Information

Office of International Education and National Student Exchange
Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST
37 Lower College Road, Kingston, RI, 02881

Phone: 401.874.2395

Advising Appointments
To schedule an appointment, log into Starfish, search for International Education and National Student Exchange and select the advisor based on your college.