Touhey, Eva

Program: M.A.M.A., graduated 2019
Current Position: Program Manager, Clean Ocean Access

Biography: Eva currently works as the program manager at Clean Ocean Access, an environmental nonprofit located in Middletown, RI that focuses on improving ocean health on and around Aquidneck Island. Her responsibilities include overseeing core programs, Healthy Soils Healthy Seas RI grant project, volunteer management, and education, outreach, and advocacy efforts. Eva attended Hobart and William Smith Colleges for her undergraduate studies, where she double majored in biology and music. Upon completion of her undergraduate degree, Eva returned to her home of Aquidneck Island and began an internship with Clean Ocean Access. Eva interned and held a part-time position with the organization for four years before she joined their team as a full-time program manager in May 2019, upon completion of her graduate studies. Eva was enrolled in the M.A.M.A. program where she completed her thesis: “The influence of plastic bag bans on pro-environmental behaviors in Rhode Island coastal communities.”

How has your participation in the Marine Affairs Program helped to influence or shape your career? While enrolled in the program I was actively working for a nonprofit organization, so I could bring in my first-hand experiences into class discussions. This allowed me to apply the tools and topics we were learning about directly to my day-day, which was a huge takeaway for me personally.

What was the most memorable–or the most influential–course taken as a Marine Affairs student?
Environmental Justice was a huge eye-opener for me. Prior to taking this course, I had never even heard this phrase despite spending 4 years studying the natural sciences. This class really pushed me to think outside of my “hard science” way of thinking and made me realize that science can be both qualitative and quantitative!