- Sap Mining Process - The sap is collected through a process called ‘tapping’. This process involves drilling a hole into the wood of the tree in order to get to the layer that produces sap. The hole is sufficient for exposing the sap of the tree but for optimal mass production, this process is increased tenfold. Instead of simply […]
- From Sap to Syrup - The sap from maple trees is most famously used to make maple syrup. This is done by a method of boiling with open evaporation pans. This evaporation separates sugar and other minerals from the water at about 4.1 degrees celsius. This process is monitored carefully and controlled meticulously. This is due to how delicate the […]
The sap that maple trees produce is extremely versatile. This unique substance is capable of being adapted into a multitude of incarnations, most famously the delicious syrup that you are likely to find on a stack of pancakes.
Maple Syrup is the most common maple product made from evaporating maple sap.
- Maple Butter - This variation of maple is made by boiling maple syrup until it is soft and adding cream and oil. Once these three ingredients cool, maple butter remains.
- Maple Sugar - When maple sap is boiled for too long, maple sugar remains after all the water has evaporated. This is used as a confection for many pastries and desserts. It is also a notable healthy alternative to processed sugars.
- Maple Beer - One type of Maple beer is made when the sap is fermented along with wheat in storing barrels or bottles. Other forms add maple syrup for flavor. The sugar gets used up in the fermentation process, and much of the taste is lost, leaving a smooth earthly taste.
- Maple Water - In early spring, farmers tap sugar maple trees to collect maple sap, which is a thin and clear liquid (aka maple water). It is then sterilized to kill any potentially harmful bacteria while nutrients are retained as much as possible. Different from maple syrup, maple water contains only 2% sugar and has a slightly sweet, […]
Maple Beauty Products
Besides consumption, maple is also finding strides in the beauty industry. There are unique beauty benefits in maple like anti-aging properties. This has led to it being used in homemade solutions as well as in major brands, such as Estée Lauder. Beauty products that have incorporated maple include soaps, face cleansers, skin moisturizers, and skin masks.
- Maple Body - Maple-scented soaps are often made with all-natural coconut and/or palm oil base, so they naturally moisturize dry skin as they clean. They’re also triple-milled, which means they’ll lather up nicely and last down to the tiniest sliver.
- Maple Face - Besides consumption, maple is also finding strides in the beauty industry. Unique anti-aging properties along with other benefits have been found in maple. This has led to it being used in homemade and holistic solutions as well as being incorporated in major brands such as Estée Lauder and Sephora. Beauty products that incorporate maple include […]