Alumni Profile

Marc Bernarducci Class of 1991 and 1995

marc-bernarduci_web
Marc Bernarducci, BS Pharmacy, MBA, PharmD, is a Class of ’91 and Class of ‘95 graduate, and donor to the University of Rhode Island (URI) College of Pharmacy. His career has taken him from retail pharmacy to his first job with the now defunct Center for Health Information (started by URI alumni Tom and Barbara Chamberlain, both Class of ‘81), which operated out of Chesapeake, VA. The transition from retail to this small start-up, long-term care consulting and medical communications company for the pharmaceutical industry provided Dr. Bernarducci with the opportunity to refine his clinical and business acumen for a transition into industry medical affairs—a field he feels complements his academic training and professional aspirations.
Marc’s journey in pharmacy began with a URI education, an invaluable experience that continues to resonate with and inspire him. Marc matriculated in the Fall of 1986, beginning the first of five years in the Bachelor of Science program at the College of Pharmacy. With both work experience as a pharmacy assistant at a local CVS Pharmacy in his hometown of Hudson, NH, a natural affinity for math and science, and a good interview with Assistant Dean, Lois Vars, he was a strong applicant to the program and was subsequently accepted. He fondly recalls his first day on campus: “My experience started in Bressler Hall. My parents dropped me off. I got my luggage out of the back of the car and trailer, and my mother—a little teary-eyed—gave me the thumbs up. I gave her the thumbs up back, walked into Bressler Hall, and started my new life at the University of Rhode Island.”
Marc would become very involved at URI over the next five years, not only with the demanding pharmacy curriculum, but extra-curricular activities. He became a member of both Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity (including tenure as the Beta Epsilon Chapter Chaplain and Secretary) and Tau Kappa Epsilon Fraternity. His extracurricular endeavors also included intramural soccer and a 4-year stint as a URI Cheerleader for men’s football and basketball, which was highlighted by URI’s first trip to the NCAA “Sweet 16” for men’s basketball in 1987-88. His ability to balance his academics and social life earned him membership in the Pharmacy Leadership Society (Phi Lambda Sigma). His robust campus life and gregarious personality helped him to build many lasting friendships and relationships at the College of Pharmacy and off campus.
Consequently, in his fifth and final undergraduate year, he was asked by the late Dean Louis Luzzi to address his classmates at graduation in May 1991. Dr. Bernarducci reflects, “I was excited to have an opportunity to express myself to my peers after our five years of hard work together. It has been my most gratifying experience in pharmacy. It is most touching when I connect with old classmates, some of whom tell me they remember my encouraging words and humble advice.” Economics in pursuit of his MBA, which he earned in 1993. Returning to URI, but now living in the East Side of Providence, he earned his PharmD in 1995; benefiting from a partnership between Brown University Medical School and URI.
Today, after 3+ years as a field-based Medical Science Liaison with Eisai Inc, supporting Eisai’s clinical development strategies for both inline and pipeline products through thought-leader networking and cultivation, Marc is poised to make another transition to a smaller company, bringing his vast experience and training to bear to help them build their medical affairs team and cultivate this function.
After spending a total of 11 years in Virginia Beach, he is most familiar with the Mid-Atlantic region. Having grown up in northern New England, Dr. Bernarducci now enjoys the more temperate climate of Virginia Beach, VA. Marc considers himself blessed and attributes his success to his experiences at URI, thoughtful decision-making, resourcefulness, and a spirited work ethic.
Dr. Bernarducci feels very strongly about the positive contributions the pharmaceutical industry and its constituents make towards the advancement of medicine. “I rest my head on my pillow every night knowing that I’m working towards helping patients—by improving drug therapy, by helping new drugs come to market, and by focusing on the science and making sure that the research of these products is rigorous and the results are properly and accurately interpreted. I truly believe our collective efforts inside and outside the industry—as a pharmacy profession—make the world a better place.”
Working from home, Marc can be as busy, as flexible, as relaxed, or as structured as he needs to be. “By virtue of that, every day is different, which keeps it exciting.” Outside of work, Marc is an avid soccer fan and supporter of Major League Soccer and the United States Men’s National Soccer Team. He competes in local amateur leagues; indoor, outdoor, and even on the sand at the Virginia Beach Oceanfront.
“I’m very grateful for the experiences I’ve had and those who shared them with me. It’s one of the reasons I have such fond memories of my time at URI. My fortune helped kindle my desire to give back, with the hope that future generations of URI pharmacy graduates can have similar positive experiences.” Marc spoke in February to P3 students at a recitation class session, advising them on pharmacy workplace trends and important considerations as they begin thinking about their career journey after graduation.
Chad Lamoureux, Pharmacy Student, Class of 2015

Newsletter Article – Spring 2011 Edition