Joe Nardolillo ’18

• Hometown: Coventry, RI
  • Major: Pharm.D.
  • Graduation Year: 2018

Why did you choose the Pharm.D. program?
Before I even chose URI, I knew I wanted to enter a Pharm.D. program. URI’s program was my number one choice due to the 0-6 program, the incredible new building, and the incredible reputation it has rightfully earned.
What made you decide to become a pharmacist?
I’ve always been interested in science and math, which along with an extroverted personality, pointed me toward the medical field. Although I wasn’t sure which branch of the field I would enter, I knew I wanted to help people. The role of pharmacists today is to do everything within their power and knowledge to treat patients, and I was more interested in treatment and prevention rather than diagnosis. Simply put, I wanted to help patients get better.
What has been the best part of your studies in the College of Pharmacy?
The feeling of being at home. Pharmacy is probably the most close-knit major on this campus. It’s great to walk around the building and be welcomed by students and faculty who know your name. In the Hillside Living and Learning Community, there’s a sense of family developed right from the beginning. By now, I feel as if I have so many people that care about me and hope to see me succeed. Even after coming back from studying abroad, I felt as if I came back to a family I never left.
What has been the best part of your entire URI experience?
All the opportunities to get involved.  My involvement in the Kappa Psi Pharmaceutical Fraternity has had a big impact, helping me meet people not only in my class, but also older pharmacy students. Some of the best advice I’ve received has been from the students I have met, and I have developed professional skills and networked with people from throughout the country. I have also been a URI 101 mentor to incoming freshmen, a part of the Student Philanthropy Council, and a member of the Student Alumni Association. This involvement has complemented my classroom experiences with real life scenarios of teamwork, collaboration, and leadership—and made countless memories in the process.
What do you consider the biggest strengths of your major or program?
The biggest strength—the willingness of faculty and staff to work with students, particularly with those who want to do something a little bit out of the ordinary. As a sophomore, I had the opportunity to study abroad, which is not a common practice for a pharmacy student. Once I mentioned I was pursuing this idea, the entire staff was there to guide me with my course selection and prepare mef for the professional part of the program before I left—and even during my time in Spain. This experience  has changed my life more than I could have imagined, and it wouldn’t have been possible without the help and support of the staff.
What has surprised you most about URI?
Professors from all around the world, possibilities to learn all across the globe, and a diverse mix of students have added to my URI College of Pharmacy education more than I ever imagined. Having access to insights from people with diverse backgrounds not only broadens my perspective, but also inspires me break out of my comfort zone. Without this, I may have never pursued the opportunity to study abroad and expand my own knowledge and experience.