- Assistant Professor
- Office: 495N
- Phone: 401.874.9361
- Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Office Location: Biomedical & Pharmaceutical Sciences, Pharmacy Building, 7 Greenhouse Road, Kingston, RI 02881
Chemical Biology of Nucleic Acid Modification: The Intersection of DNA Repair, Metabolism, and Antiviral Drug Design
Postdoctoral Associate, Chemical Biology, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2009-2014
Ph.D., Organic Chemistry, Brown University, 2009
M.S., Natural Product Chemistry, Chinese Academy of Medical Sciences & Peking Union Medical College, 1999
B.S., Medicinal Chemistry, Beijing Medical University, 1996
(#Corresponding author, *Equal authorship)
- Qi Tang*, Ang Cai*, Ke Bian, Fangyi Chen, Sravani Adusumalli, Alvin C. Bach II, Fatemeh Akhlaghi, Bongsup Cho, Deyu Li# “Characterization of byproducts from chemical syntheses of oligonucleotides containing 1-methyladenine and 3-methylcytosine” ACS Omega, 2017, 2, 8205.
- Ke Bian*, Fangyi Chen*, Zachary T. Humulock*, Qi Tang, Deyu Li# “Copper inhibits the AlkB family DNA repair enzymes under Wilson’s disease condition” Chemical Research in Toxicology 2017, 30, 1794.
- Fangyi Chen*, Ke Bian*, Qi Tang, Bogdan I. Fedeles, Vipender Singh, Zachary T. Humulock, John M. Essigmann, Deyu Li# “Oncometabolites D- and L-2-hydroxyglutarate inhibit the AlkB family DNA repair enzymes under physiological conditions” Chemical Research in Toxicology 2017, 30, 1102.
- Fangyi Chen*, Qi Tang*, Ke Bian, Zachary T. Humulock, Xuedong Yang, Marco Jost, Catherine L. Drennan, John M. Essigmann, Deyu Li# “The adaptive response enzyme AlkB preferentially repairs 1-methylguanine and 3-methylthymine adducts in double-stranded DNA” Chemical Research in Toxicology 2016, 29, 687.
- Bogdan I. Fedeles*, Vipender Singh*, James C. Delaney, Deyu Li#, John M. Essigmann# “The AlkB family of Fe(II)/α-Ketoglutarate-dependent dioxygenases: repairing nucleic acid alkylation damage and beyond” Journal of Biological Chemistry 2015, 290, 20734. (Invited for the seventh thematic series on Metals in Biology)
- Chunte S. Peng, Bogdan I. Fedeles, Vipender Singh, Deyu Li, Tiffany Amariuta, John M. Essigmann, Andrei Tokmakoff “2D IR spectroscopy of the anti-HIV agent KP1212 reveals protonated and neutral tautomers that influence pH-dependent mutagenicity” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA, 2015, 112, 3239.
- Shiou-chi Chang, Bogdan I. Fedeles, Jie Wu, James C. Delaney, Deyu Li, Linlin Zhao, Plamen P. Christov, Emily Yau, Vipender Singh, Marco Jost, Catherine L. Drennan, Lawrence J. Marnett, Carmelo J. Rizzo, Stuart S. Levine, F. Peter Guengerich, John M. Essigmann “Next-generation sequencing reveals the biological significance of the N2,3-ethenoguanine lesion in vivo” Nucleic Acids Research 2015, 43, 5489. (Highlighted as the Breakthrough paper of the journal and also by the MIT News on April 1, 2015)
- Bogdan I. Fedeles, Bret D. Freudenthal, Emily Yau, Vipender Singh, Shiou-chi Chang, Deyu Li, James C. Delaney, Samuel H. Wilson, John M. Essigmann “Intrinsic mutagenic properties of 5-chlorocytosine: A mechanistic connection between chronic inflammation and cancer” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2015, 112, E4571. (Highlighted by the MIT News on August 7, 2015)
- Deyu Li*, Bogdan I. Fedeles*, Vipender Singh*, Chunte S. Peng*, Katherine J. Silvestre, Jeffrey H. Simpson, Andrei Tokmakoff, John M. Essigmann “Tautomerism provides a molecular explanation for the mutagenic properties of the anti-HIV nucleoside analog 5-aza-5,6-dihydro-deoxycytidine” Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences USA 2014, 111, E3252. (Highlighted by the MIT News on July 28, 2014)
- Vipender Singh*, Bogdan I. Fedeles*, Deyu Li*, James C. Delaney, Ivan D. Kozekov, Albena Kozekova, Lawrence J. Marnett, Carmelo J. Rizzo, John M. Essigmann “Mechanism of repair of acrolein- and malondialdehyde-derived exocyclic guanine adducts by the α-ketoglutarate/Fe(II) dioxygenase AlkB” Chemical Research in Toxicology 2014, 27, 1619.
- Nidhi Shrivastav, Bogdan I. Fedeles, Deyu Li, James C. Delaney, Lauren E. Frick, James J. Foti, Graham C. Walker, John M. Essigmann “A chemical genetics analysis of the roles of bypass polymerase DinB and DNA repair protein AlkB in processing N2-alkylguanine lesions in vivo” PLoS ONE 2014, 9, e94716.
- Vipender Singh, Chunte S. Peng, Deyu Li, Koyel Mitra, Katherine Silvestre, Andrei Tokmakoff, John M. Essigmann “Direct observation of tautomers of oxythiamine and their recognition by an RNA aptamer” ACS Chemical Biology, 2014, 9, 227.
- Deyu Li, Bogdan I. Fedeles, Nidhi Shrivastav, James C. Delaney, Xuedong Yang, Cintyu Wong, Catherine L. Drennan, John M. Essigmann “Removal of alkylation DNA adducts from N2-alkylguanine and N4-alkylcytosine by the adaptive response protein AlkB” Chemical Research in Toxicology 2013, 26, 1182. (Cover paper, August, 2013)
- Jingqing Zhang, Markita P. Landry, Paul W. Barone, Jong-Ho Kim, Shangchao Lin, Zachary W. Ulissi, Dahua Lin, Bin Mu, Ardemis A. Boghossian, Andrew J. Hilmer, Alina Rwei, Allison C. Hinckley, Sebastian Kruss, Mia A. Shandell, Nitish Nair, Steven Blake, Fatih Sen, Selda Sen, Robert G. Croy, Deyu Li, Kyungsuk Yum, Jin-Ho Ahn, Hong Jin, Daniel A. Heller, John M. Essigmann, Daniel Blankschtein, Michael S. Strano “Molecular recognition using nanotube-adsorbed polymer complexes” Nature Nanotechnology 2013, 8, 959.
- Deyu Li, James C. Delaney, Charlotte M. Page, Xuedong Yang, Alvin S. Chen, Cintyu Wong, Catherine L. Drennan, John M. Essigmann “Exocyclic carbons adjacent to the N6 of adenine are targets for oxidation by the Escherichia coli adaptive response protein AlkB” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2012, 134, 8896. (Highlighted by Chemical Research in Toxicology 2012, 25, 1286.)
- Gerald Kagan, Weibin Li, Deyu Li, Russell Hopson, Paul G. Williard “Characterization of dimeric chiral lithium amide structures derived from N-isopropyl-O-triisopropylsilyl valinol” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2011, 133, 6596.
- James I. Mullins, Laura Heath, James P. Hughes, Jessica Kicha, Sheila Styrchak, Kim Wong, Ushnal Rao, Alexis Hansen, Kevin S. Harris, Jean-Pierre Laurent, Deyu Li, Jeffrey H. Simpson, John M. Essigmann, Lawrence A. Loeb, Jeffrey Parkins “Mutations resulting from viral decay acceleration of HIV-1 genomes in a clinical population treated with the mutagenic nucleoside KP1461” PLoS ONE 2011, 6, e15135.
- Deyu Li, James C. Delaney, Charlotte M. Page, Alvin S. Chen, Cintyu Wong, Catherine L. Drennan, John M. Essigmann “Repair of DNA alkylation damage by the Escherichia coli adaptive response protein AlkB as studied by ESI-TOF mass spectrometry” Journal of Nucleic Acids 2010, 369434. (Invited submission for a special issue on “DNA Damage, Mutagenesis, and DNA Repair.”)
- Nidhi Shrivastav, Deyu Li, John M. Essigmann “Chemical biology of mutagenesis and DNA repair: cellular responses to DNA alkylation” Carcinogenesis 2010, 31, 59. (Invited submission for a special issue to celebrate the 30th anniversary of Carcinogenesis.)
- Deyu Li, Gerald Kagan, Russell Hopson, Paul G. Williard “Formula weight prediction by internal reference diffusion-ordered NMR spectroscopy (DOSY)” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2009, 131, 5627.
- Deyu Li, Ivan Keresztes, Russell Hopson, Paul G. Williard “Characterization of reactive intermediates by multinuclear diffusion-ordered NMR spectroscopy (DOSY)” Accounts of Chemical Research 2009, 42, 270. (Invited review article.)
- Deyu Li, Chengzao Sun, Jia Liu, Paul G. Williard “Characterization of a chiral enolate aggregate and observation of 6Li-1H scalar coupling” Journal of the American Chemical Society 2008, 130, 11726.
- Deyu Li, Chengzao Sun, Jia Liu, Russell Hopson, Weibin Li, Paul G. Williard “Aggregation studies of complexes containing a chiral lithium amide and n-butyllithium” Journal of Organic Chemistry 2008, 73, 2373.
- Jia Liu, Deyu Li, Chengzao Sun, Paul G. Williard “Analysis of an asymmetric addition with a 2:1 mixed lithium amide/n-butyllithium aggregate” Journal of Organic Chemistry 2008, 73, 4045.
- Deyu Li, Russell Hopson, Weibin Li, Jia Liu, Paul G. Williard “13C INEPT diffusion-ordered NMR spectroscopy (DOSY) with internal references” Organic Letters 2008, 10, 909.
- Lili Ma, Russell Hopson, Deyu Li, Yong Zhang, Paul G. Williard “Synthesis and structural characterization of the bis(diisopropylamino)boron enolate of tert-butyl methyl ketone” Organometallics 2007, 26, 5834.
Honors and Awards
Outstanding New Environmental Scientist (ONES) Award (R01) from NIEHS in NIH, 2018
Academic Research Enhancement Award (AREA Program, R15) from NCI in NIH, 2017
Champlin Foundations Award, 2016
Faculty Early Career Development Award, RI-INBRE Program, 2015
Medical Research Funds, Rhode Island Foundation, 2015
Young Chemist Award, Division of Organic Chemistry, 234th ACS National Meeting, Boston, MA, 2007
ENC Student Travel Award, 48th Experimental Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Conference, Daytona Beach, FL, 2007