Important Note: URI Mail Services serves the faculty and staff at the University. All mail and packages for URI students are located at Union Express. They can be reached at (401) 874-2189 or email@example.com.
URI Mail Services provides all University departments with timely and efficient handling, processing, and distribution of all USPS mail, interoffice mail, domestic packages and international packages. Using modern technology and equipment, Mail Services meters all outgoing mail and processes shipments of UPS packages. We also handle all classes of domestic and foreign mail including first class, library-rate, business reply, media rate, certified, overnight, priority and standard bulk rate mail.
- Metered Mail – All mail is metered using updated Pitney Bowes machines. They provide a streamlined way to process mail, ship packages through major carriers and keep track of all our outgoing mail. Our machines also qualify for metered mail discounts. *Note – If you have a large volume of letter sized envelopes to mail, please have them nested properly so that we can feed them through our machines. Mail dropped off after 1:00 may not get out the same day if there is a high volume of pieces. Please plan accordingly when you have large mailings.
- USPS Marketing Mail (Bulk Mail) – Offered to all URI departments who want to send mail at standard, nonprofit rates. All mailings must be at least 200 pieces and must meet USPS required guidelines.
- UPS small to medium package shipments processed daily – Packages are not to exceed 150 lbs. A mail card must be submitted with the package indicating it’s priority (i.e., ground, 2nd day air or overnight air am or pm). Packages can be dropped off at our location before 2:00 or placed at your department’s outgoing mail location.
- Courier Service – We provide daily courier service to the State of Rhode Island offices.
- International shipments – International packages require a 3-part USPS custom’s form (letters do not). At the department’s request, Mail Services will send the form via interoffice mail.
- Business Reply Mail – Our business reply mail (BRM) permit is available for distributing business reply cards, envelopes, self-mailers, cartons and labels. BRM allows us to receive first-class mail and priority mail back from customers by paying postage plus a per piece charge only on the mail returned.
- Recycling – We collect used batteries, inkjet cartridges and toner for the Recycling Department. Just leave them at your outgoing mail location, and we will pick them up.
- Package Tracking System – All packages that USPS delivers to our facility are checked in to our EZTrackIt Package Tracking System and checked out at the delivery location. Contact URI Mail Services for updates on where your USPS packages are located after they arrive at our location.
Policies & Procedures
- Mail Cards – All mail that needs to be metered must accompany a mail card. They can be ordered through the Printing Services website.
- Hazardous material – Handled through the Environmental Health and Safety Department.
- Suspicious Mail – If a package appears to be suspicious, please contact URI Police at 874-2121 immediately. See Suspicious Package Information for additional details.
- Personal Mail – Please do not expect to receive personal packages through URI Mail Services. See Personal Package Policy for additional details.
- Mailing Address Changes – When moving to another location, it is the staff’s responsibility to update all correspondence with their correct mailing address.
- Incomplete Addresses – We refer to the URI Directory when addresses are incomplete. Please contact the Sr. Information Tech at Human Resources if your address is not correct in the directory.
- Emergency Route – Followed during severe weather conditions, or other circumstances that result in low staff turnout at the University.
URI Directory Address Changes
Mail Services does not update URI addresses. If your address in incorrect in the URI Directory, please refer to the following link to have it updated: Instructions for Updating Directory Information. Scroll to the bottom of the page and click on the button Instructions for updating directory information for EMPLOYEES ONLY.