UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS: LEAVE OF ABSENCE
If you need to interrupt your studies because of personal or family circumstances, or simply need a break, you may apply for a leave of absence. Please note:
- Undergraduate students requesting taking a leave of absence from an academic program must do so through their academic dean’s office. All requests for a leave of absence require Dean’s Office approval.
- Your leave application may be for no longer than two semesters.
- If leave is granted by your College, you can still maintain your student status and register for the semester in which you plan to return without applying for readmission.
- For scholarship recipients, a leave of absence may result in loss of eligibility. Check here for details.
- See additional information regarding billing adjustments/refunds as well as the impact on financial aid.
|University College for Academic Success
|College of Arts & Sciences
|College of Business
|College of Education and Professional Studies
|College of Engineering
|College of the Environment & Life Sciences
|College of Health Sciences
|College of Nursing
|College of Pharmacy
UNDERGRADUATE STUDENTS: WITHDRAWAL
Officially withdrawing from the University removes you from any academic program and cancels your student status. To return to URI, you will need to apply for readmission into a degree granting program through the appropriate academic Dean’s Office, or register for additional courses as a Non-Matriculating student.
- Undergraduates must withdraw through their academic advisor and/or academic dean’s office. All requests for withdrawal require dean’s office approval.
- Upon satisfactory completion of the withdrawal, including clearance of all financial obligations to the University, the effective date of withdrawal will be noted on your permanent academic record.
- The effective date is the date used for calculating financial aid, billing or refunds. No grades for the current semester will be recorded. See additional information regarding billing adjustments/refunds as well as the impact on financial aid. Note: Accelerated, fully online students have until 11:59pm on Day 3 of a new session to drop a class for a 100% refund; after day 3 there is no refund.
- Upon withdrawal after the last day of classes, but before a semester ends, you will be graded in all courses for which you are officially registered.
- Upon withdrawal after mid-semester, students who seek readmission for the next semester will be readmitted only with approval of the Scholastic Standing Committee for the college or school in which registration is desired.
- Upon withdrawal from the University after mid-semester, your grades will be recorded for any course that has an officially specified completion date prior to the date of your withdrawal.
All graduate students who wish to take a leave of absence or officially withdraw from a graduate program and the University must do so through the Graduate School.
Contact the Graduate School in Quinn Hall or call 401.874.2262.GRADUATE SCHOOL FORMS
Students who are not pursuing a degree and who are not enrolled in a regular graduate program of studies may not receive a leave of absence, but may officially withdraw from the University.Requst A WITHDRAWal