Leave of Absence or Withdrawal


If you need to interrupt your studies because of personal or family circumstances, or simply need a break, you may apply for a leave of absence. Please note:

  • Undergraduate students requesting taking a leave of absence from an academic program must do so through their academic dean’s office. All requests for a leave of absence require Dean’s Office approval.
  • Your leave application may be for no longer than two semesters.
  • If leave is granted by your College, you can still maintain your student status and register for the semester in which you plan to return without applying for readmission.  
  • For scholarship recipients, a leave of absence may result in loss of eligibility. Check here for details.
  • See additional information regarding billing adjustments/refunds as well as the impact on financial aid.
Contact Information
University College for Academic Success401.874.2993
College of Arts & Sciences401.874.2566
College of Business401.874.2337
College of Education and Professional Studies401.277.5160
College of Engineering401.874.5985
College of the Environment & Life Sciences401.874.5026
College of Health Sciences401.874.2125
College of Nursing401.874.2766
College of Pharmacy401.874.5842


Officially withdrawing from the University removes you from any academic program and cancels your student status. To return to URI, you will need to apply for readmission into a degree granting program through the appropriate academic Dean’s Office, or register for additional courses as a Non-Matriculating student.

  • Undergraduates must withdraw through their academic advisor and/or academic dean’s office. All requests for withdrawal require dean’s office approval.
  • Upon satisfactory completion of the withdrawal, including clearance of all financial obligations to the University, the effective date of withdrawal will be noted on your permanent academic record. 
  • The effective date is the date used for calculating financial aid, billing or refunds. No grades for the current semester will be recorded. See additional information regarding billing adjustments/refunds as well as the impact on financial aid. Note: Accelerated, fully online students have until 11:59pm on Day 3 of a new session to drop a class for a 100% refund; after day 3 there is no refund.
  • Upon withdrawal after the last day of classes, but before a semester ends, you will be graded in all courses for which you are officially registered.
  • Upon withdrawal after mid-semester, students who seek readmission for the next semester will be readmitted only with approval of the Scholastic Standing Committee for the college or school in which registration is desired.
  • Upon withdrawal from the University after mid-semester, your grades will be recorded for any course that has an officially specified completion date prior to the date of your withdrawal.
Request a withdrawal


All graduate students who wish to take a leave of absence or officially withdraw from a graduate program and the University must do so through the Graduate School.

Contact the Graduate School in Quinn Hall or call 401.874.2262.



Students who are not pursuing a degree and who are not enrolled in a regular graduate program of studies may not receive a leave of absence, but may officially withdraw from the University.