A Shore Thing

A Shore Thing is a beautiful, cozy spot right by Charlestown Beach with a unique shop behind the bed and breakfast with gifts and furniture repurposed right on site.

Jen Messina had fallen in love with Charlestown after many years of visiting her aunt and uncle’s property where they ran an art gallery. She had a dream of turning the home into a bed and breakfast to share the kind of peaceful joy she’d experienced there with others.

Having run her B&B successfully for a couple of years, she came to the RISBDC for help getting a loan to buy the property. With the help of the RISBDC, she was able to do just that and continue to grow her business and her dream. She quotes, “RISBDC… was a very helpful and resourceful breath of fresh air with hope and options. Josh, my RISBDC counselor, helped me understand and work towards a solution to continue on my journey.”

Through the RISBDC, Jen also connected with a social media marketing class at URI. She looks forward to implementing the recommendations made by the students. She also sees herself working toward a possible annex to the current location. “The RISBDC enabled me to continue and find a way to keep my dream business going.”