Bio-One Inc.

Rhode Island native Zachary Mattera recently opened the state’s first Bio-One Inc. franchise. Bio-One provides decontamination and biohazard cleanup services while treating clients with privacy and compassion, which difficult moments demand. This newest location serves Providence and surrounding areas.

Mattera studied Criminal Justice at Norwich University. His years of experience and expertise are exhibited when he and his team help in restoring their client’s properties to their original condition in a professional, discreet, and compassionate manner.

Mattera chose to start Bio-One to become more involved in serving his community and help families during times of need. “I decided to bring this business to Rhode Island because I wanted to help people. I felt that cleaning up someone’s home, or disinfecting a school was rewarding and could benefit the community,” said Mattera.

Prior to launching, Mattera reached out to the Rhode Island Small Business Development Center for assistance with business development. He credits the RISBDC for helping him “get moving” and narrowing his focus in areas of marketing. “I think the help with marketing my business was a big step for me,” said Mattera. Both Amit Basnet, RISBDC Central Regional Director, and Julie Loffredi, RISBDC Marketing Counselor, provided assistance including press outreach and guidance with new business promotion.

Within the first few weeks of business, Mattera started getting calls for service. Due to the new coronavirus pandemic, Mattera said he is also shifting his focus and providing assistance to local towns and cities to help disinfect their buildings. Bio-One Inc. uses the TOMI SteraMist Environment System. According to Mattera, it uses binary ionization technology to kill viruses and bacteria. This system is what hospitals use to disinfect large sections at a time, and is one of the only machines to reach a six log reduction of germs (99.9999%).

“I am interested in connecting with as many businesses as possible with a focus on police departments, fire departments, and apartment communities. I am also interested in connecting with hospitals and other large buildings so we can help with disinfection efforts,” said Mattera.