Our goal is to equip students in this major with the ability to work comfortably in more than one corner of the global marketplace. Drawing on the resources of the College of Business and the University, this interdisciplinary program allows you to understand the languages and cultural/political contexts that affect an enterprise.
As a global business major you not only learn about business theories and practices regarding accounting, finance, marketing, supply chain and management, you gain competency in at least one foreign language. You can choose from many languages offered at URI, including Arabic, Chinese, French, German, Hebrew, Italian, Japanese, Modern Greek, Portuguese, and Spanish.
Experiential learning through study abroad or a one-semester international internship is required. This direct exposure to a second culture deepens the understanding of a specific international context. Our students have completed study abroad programs in China, Germany, Australia, Italy, Spain, and Mexico, among others. The business courses required for the major are listed below.
- BUS 342 Human Resource Management
- BUS 460 Global Supply Chain Management
- BUS 428 Multinational Finance
- BUS 493 Internship or approved study abroad courses
- BUS 468 International Marketing
- ECN 338 International Economics (or a study abroad international business course)
- BUS 448 International Dimensions of Business (or a study abroad international business course)
Download the Global Business Curriculum Worksheet (PDF) for your catalog year:
- 2014 Global Business Curriculum
- 2013 Global Business Curriculum
- 2012 Global Business Curriculum
- 2011 Global Business Curriculum
Recent graduates have used their global knowledge and experiences to find careers in the area of supply chain management, marketing, and customer relations with Volkswagen, Hasbro, and Travelers Insurance.
If you would like more information about the Global Business major at the University of Rhode Island, please contact Associate Dean Shaw Chen at email@example.com.