- Early Childhood Education
- Elementary Education
- Music Education
- Physical Education
- Secondary Education (English, Math, Science, Social Studies)
- World Language
Graduate applicants must have a B.A. or a B.S. (Music students must have a B.A. or a B.M. in music) with an undergraduate GPA of 3.0 or above. Most Secondary Education MA/TCP applicants have a B.A. or a B.S. in the content area they hope to teach (i.e. English, Math, History, Biology, etc.).
In addition, please note the following:
- Secondary Education applicants: A minimum GPA of 3.0 in your content major (English, Math, etc.)
- Music Education applicants: A minimum GPA of 3.0 in Music.
Some classes are recommended or required prior to application (please refer to the curriculum sheet for your degree program to see specific requirements).
STEP 1: Complete the online URI Graduate School Application.
STEP 2: Apply to the URI School of Education
- January 31st: Application and portfolio deadline (it is recommended that applicants begin preparing for the admissions process in the fall)
- February: Eligible applicants are interviewed
- March: Admissions decision letters are emailed to applicants
*LATE APPLICANTS: Please review the Late Admissions tab in Sakai if you would like to apply to the School of Education after the 1/31 deadline*
The URI School of Education admissions process includes 3 phases: completing the application, portfolio review, and interview. The details and requirements of each phase are available in Sakai. Applicants can log into the School of Ed Admissions Sakai site to begin the admissions process or to review admissions requirements.
To log into the School of Ed Admissions Sakai site:
- Log into Sakai (contact the OTE if you do not have a student ID number)
- Click on the “Membership” tab on the left
- Click on “Joinable Sites” at the top of the page
- Search for “School of Ed Admissions”
- Click “Join”
You can also download these instructions with screenshots (PDF)
To gain access to the Sakai portal, please email the Office of Teacher Education (firstname.lastname@example.org).