International Engineering Program

61-67 Upper College Road, Kingston, RI 02881


Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Preparing for Your Year Abroad: Chinese IEP

IEP students completing the overseas component of their degree program will work closely with the appropriate IEP Director/Coordinator  in order to obtain admission as an exchange student at a partner institution, secure an internship placement, and otherwise prepare for their time abroad.  In addition to the documentation and processes required of IEP, there are materials that all URI students must also complete and submit to the URI Office of International Education (OIE).

For information on OIE paperwork, processes and deadlines, visit and review the following webpage: Please be advised that the website also provides dates and times for information sessions the OIE will be hosting for those with questions related to the paperwork that must be submitted.

See also for important safety and security information for travelers.

Most students leave for the year abroad in August and return twelve months later. Students studying at Zhejiang University will partake in a two-week immersion program at the end of August.

Preparing for the year abroad in a stress-free way takes approximately nine months of planning starting with the December before you depart.


  1. Passport application or renewal. If you do not yet have a valid passport, you need to apply for one. If you already have a passport, you need to ensure that it will not expire within six months of your planned RETURN date.
  2. Scholarships. There are scholarships awarded just Chinese IEP students. Visit the scholarships page for more info.
  3.  Complete a Study Abroad General Information Session prior to meeting with an Education Abroad Advisor.


  1. Financial Aid. If you have questions about financial aid during the year abroad, you should contact a financial advisor at Enrollment Services in Green Hall.


  1. Office of International Education Step 2. By March 1st, complete your URI application for IEP study abroad and submit it to Dr. Berka.
  2.  Prior Approval Forms. Complete Prior Approval Form for all of the courses you would like to take while abroad. Please bring to each department chair to sign off on classes before bringing sheet to Dr. Berka by March 31st so she can send it on to Dr. Veyera for further signatures. Please bring a check for your Off-Campus Study Fee by April 15th and Dr. Berka will send it to the Office of International Engineering along with your Prior Approval Form and IEP acceptance form which Dr. Berka will fill out and sign. If you miss the deadline, you will be responsible for getting everything signed, taken to the Office of International Education yourseld by May 1st (including the off-campus study fee).
  3. Passport Photos. Give 12 passport photos to Dr. Berka by March 15th. Make sure you are dressed professionally in the photo.
  4. Transcripts. Submit 2 official transcripts to Dr. Berka by March 15th.
  5. Partner University Application. Complete the Zhejiang University exchange student application form and submit to Dr. Berka by March 15th. ZJU Undergraduate Application Form.
  6. Resume. Prepare a Chinese resume by March 31st while you can ask your professors and/or tutors for help. Here is a template to help get you started. Chinese Resume Template


  1. Flight Arrangements. Book flight to arrive in China in the middle of August before the start of the immersion program.
  2. Meet with IEP and other academic advisors. Think ahead to returning in the fall of your 5th year– you will be registering for classes at URI while you are abroad. Make sure to work on a graduation worksheet with your IEP advisor before leaving for study abroad so that you know which classes you will still have to take for graduation. It is highly important to register for 5th year fall courses at URI as EARLY as possible; we won’t be able to accommodate anyone if a course is canceled due to under-enrollment. Also, let us know immediately if there is a conflict between a Chinese language course and courses required for engineering -the more heads-up time we have the better to adapt.
  3. Health Insurance. Discuss health insurance coverage with Tom Hospod and submit proof of insurance. All IEP students will need to obtain medical evacuation and repatriation insurance coverage through HTH Worldwide Insurance Services at the information below.Proof of enrollment in a Travel Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plan: The University of Rhode Island requires that Education Abroad participants obtain medical evacuation and repatriation insurance for the duration of the overseas program. You will be expected to enroll in the URI authorized Travel Medical Evacuation and Repatriation Plan if your program provider does not provide travel medical evacuation and repatriation coverage that complies with the URI Office of Risk Management’s regulations. Participants uncertain if their program provider automatically enrolls them in a plan should consult their URI Education Abroad Advisor.

    Learn more about the HTH Worldwide Insurance Services coverage, estimated costs, and find a link to the self-enrollment portal via the URI Office of Risk Managment’s International Travel Insurance page. For information on the University’s Health Insurance and insurance requirements please contact Health Services at: 401-874-4756 or


  1. Office of International Education Step 3. If you have not already done so, you must submit the final original copies of your Prior Approval Forms (that you completed in March) with all appropriate signatures to the Study Abroad Office in the Office of International Education along with a check for Off-Campus Study Fee by May 1st.
  2. Zhejiang University Student Guide (Hangzhou Handbook). Please read through this handbook.


  1. Visa Application. To apply for your visa, you must first look at the Consulate in NYC. Fill out the Visa Application Form of the People’s Republic of China for student visas and print out. Next, please fill out and have your physician sign off on PHYSICAL EXAMINATION RECORD. Please bring with you these two forms filled out completely along with a check for $175 made out to China Silk Tours and your passport to Dr. Berka by July 1st. She will send out all the documents to China Silk Tours who will provide you with a visa.
  2. CIEP Internship Application. Set up appointment with Dr. Berka to discuss possible companies by July 1st.
  3. Heath Insurance. Please provide a letter from your insurance agency stating that you will be covered while abroad to Dr. Berka by July 1st.


Copyright © 2017 University of Rhode Island.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top