International Engineering Program

61-67 Upper College Road, Kingston, RI 02881 – 401.874.4283

Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Preparing for Your Year Abroad: German IEP

IEP students completing the overseas component of their degree program will work closely with the appropriate IEP Director/Coordinator  in order to obtain admission as an exchange student at a partner institution, secure an internship placement, and otherwise prepare for their time abroad.  In addition to the documentation and processes required of IEP, there are materials that all URI students must also complete and submit to the URI Office of International Education (OIE).

For information on OIE paperwork, processes and deadlines, visit and review the following webpage: Please be advised that the website also provides dates and times for information sessions the OIE will be hosting for those with questions related to the paperwork that must be submitted.

See also for important safety and security information for travelers.

Most students leave for the year abroad in September and return twelve months later. Students studying at TU-Braunschweig will participate in a one-month immersion program between September and October. After the immersion program ends, the official semester will start at the end of October and run until mid-February.

Preparing for the year abroad in a stress-free way takes approximately nine months of planning starting the December before you depart. Follow the timeline below and also check out the German IEP Study Abroad Survival Guide, created by GIEP Student Ambassadors to help prepare you for the year abroad.


  1. Intended Costs/Expenses for Year Abroad. Refer to this handout for expected costs and expenses for your year in Germany. Please note that the total costs are subject to change.
  2. Passport application or renewal. If you do not yet have a valid passport, you need to apply for one. If you already have a passport, you need to ensure that it will not expire within six months of your planned RETURN date. (For example, if you will be abroad until August 2013, your passport should be valid until February 2014).
  3. Visa. US citizens do not need to apply for a visa before entering Germany. The International Office at TU Braunschweig will assist incoming URI students in obtaining an “Aufenthaltsgenehmigung” for the year in Germany which also allows for an internship in a German company. Important: Non-US citizens need to check whether they are on the list of countries whose citizens need to apply for a visa. Apply for a visa in October/November!
  4. Scholarships. The following scholarships are available only to German IEP students:
  • Sharon Wallace Memorial Scholarship
  • German Section Awards
  • DAAD Scholarship and Awards
  • Apply for other available IEP scholarships (deadlines vary; check the Scholarship & Fellowships page for more information).


  1.  Financial Aid Questions. If you have questions about financial aid during the year abroad, you should contact a financial advisor in Green Hall.


  1. Office of International Education Step 1. Complete the General Information Session on the Office of International Education website.
  2. Partner University Application. Complete the Braunschweig exchange student application form online, print a copy, and submit to Dr. Berka.
  3. Passport Photos. Give 12 passport photos to Dr. Berka. Make sure you are well-dressed in the photo.
  4. Transcripts. Submit 2 official transcripts to Dr. Berka.


  1. Office of International Education Step 2. Complete your URI Application for IEP Study Abroad. Submit a copy to Dr. Berka and the original in your study abroad paperwork to Tom Hospod.
  2. Pick up IEP Acceptance Form from Dr. Berka, which you will need to include in your study abroad paperwork for Toms Hospod in the URI International Office.
  3. Housing Application. Complete the Braunschweig housing application form. Submit online and then make a copy for Dr. Berka.
  4. Prior Approval Forms. Complete Prior Approval Form for all of the courses you would like to take while abroad. Check list of German course equivalencies. Please bring sheet to Dr. Berka to sign off on German and general education classes and to your engineering advisor to sign off on engineering classes. Dr. Berka will then send it on to Dr. Veyera for further signatures. Please bring a check for your Off-Campus Study Fee and Dr. Berka will send it to the Office of International Engineering along with your Prior Approval Form and the IEP acceptance form which she will fill out and sign. After the April deadline you will be responsible for getting everything signed and taken to the Office of International Education.
  5. Meet with your advisors to discuss your academic plan for your 5th year. Think ahead to returning in the fall of your 5th year and that you will be registering for classes while you are still abroad. Make sure to work on a graduation worksheet with your IEP advisor before leaving for study abroad so that you know which classes you will still have to take for graduation. It is highly important to register for 5th year fall courses at URI as EARLY as possible in Spring prior to returning; we won’t be able to accommodate anyone if a course is canceled due to under-enrollment. Also, let us know immediately if there is a conflict between a German course and courses required for engineering. The more heads-up time we have, the easier to adapt.
  6. TU-BS Exchange Student Guide. Read through the TU-BS Exchange Student Guide.


  1.  Heath Insurance. Submit proof of health insurance to Dr. Berka. If you do not have health insurance that is sufficient for living abroad please obtain MEDEX insurance at the information below.


MEDEX Emergency and repatronization is mandatory for each student going abroad if your insurance company does not include these services. Please fill out the Medex Emergency Evacuation form and contact Risk Manager Cynthia Stanton with any questions at

May – June

  1. Office of International Education Step 3. If you have not already done so, you must submit the final original copies of your Prior Approval Forms (that you completed in March) with all appropriate signatures to the Study Abroad Office in the Office of International Education along with a check for Off-Campus Study Fee by May 1st. More information at
  2. GIEP Internship Application. Set up appointment with Dr. Berka to discuss company choices prior to summer break. Submit German Lebenslauf with photo and application letter to company to Dr. Berka by July 1st.
  3. Travel arrangements. GIEP students usually go on a group flight around September 10-15th that is put together by Dr. Berka. Group flight payment must be paid by July 15th to Dr. Berka. If you are not taking the group flight, you are responsible for finding your own flight.

Copyright © 2015 University of Rhode Island.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top