URI MGP Newsletter: seed sort; renewal; chestnuts and creating a eco-beneficial yard.
Help Wanted: Seed Sort
NEW LOCATION: HEMPE HOUSE, EAST FARM, KINGSTON
January 3 – 7 and 10-14 (Tuesdays thru Saturdays)
10 am to 3 pm
For those of you who are unfamiliar with this project, Job Lot donates all of their unsold seed stock to URI MGP at the end of each year. Emails offering free seeds are sent to schools, community farms, 4-H, Scouts, and other community organizations across Rhode Island. Last year we provided this service to 700 schools and educational organizations. Master Gardeners, Interns, fill the orders as they come in. We also use the seeds for our own projects and greenhouses.
Anyone new to this program email Mary please so I can keep you informed. I have all of last year’s volunteers registered. You may choose your own hours and work day. Please sign in every day. You may bring a lunch or snack and dress in layers. The temperature in the greenhouse can vary.
Volunteer Hours: You have two options for counting your volunteer hours for seed sort.
- Direct Education Service: In order to receive direct education service hours for all time spent on this project, we require that you assist on one of the 2 educational pick up dates, Saturday 1/28 or 2/25. This will allow you to coach members of the public one-on-one setting, handing out seed orders, explaining the RI planting calendar, answering questions about seed starting, etc. Seed starting workshops will be offered on these days. Direct education! Please enter your time in the seed sort (DIRECT EDUCATION SERVICE) category in Volgistics.
- Support Service: If you just volunteer with seed sort filling orders and sorting seeds, you are helping provide a great service to the community. Please enter your time in the seed sort – SUPPOT SERVICE category in Volgistics.
When the filling of orders starts in January, if you like math bring a small calculator to help add up each order for accuracy before we fill them. It is imperative you wear your MG pin. It will help my memory, thank you.
Thank you all for volunteering,
Mary Malouin, Seed Sort Coordinator
Email – firstname.lastname@example.org
Time to Renew Your URI Master Gardener Certification
It’s that time again . . . time to renew your URI Master Gardener Certification. It’s been a great year and we are looking forward to another year sharing our passion for gardening! Here are a few things to consider as you complete the process.
Click here for the renewal form. Please return this at your earliest convenience to let us know you plan to participate in the URI Master Gardener Program in 2017. Renewal forms are due by January 31, 2016 to avoid the late fee.
If you are unable to volunteer in 2017, click here to read about leave of absence and Emeritus options.
We are each responsible for completing 20 volunteer hours and 10 continuing education hours within the 2017 calendar year to maintain certification as a URI Master Gardener. As you know, at least 10 of your volunteer hours must be entered in a direct education service project, as listed in Volgistics.
Many of you have emailed, saying they find it difficult to attend the many wonderful continuing ed classes. You can get your continuing education hours from the comfort of your home!
- Step 1 – go to: http://web.uri.edu/mastergardener/
- Step 2 – click the gold “Master Gardener Login” button
- Step 3 – enter the password = seeds
- Step 4 – click on the “Continuing Education Class Recordings” listed in the right hand column.
- Step 5 – enjoy the video and complete the survey. Remember to enter your hours into Volgistics under the general “continuing education” category.
Once you’ve completed your renewal form, we’ll email you a letter. You may use this letter as proof of your participation in the URI Master Gardener Program. We’ll be saving some trees this year using this new system to replace the “membership cards” used by the URI Master Gardeners in the past.
All pins will be distributed at the January 21, and March 23 and May 23 Master Gardener meetings. If you are unable to attend, you will receive it by mail. Renewal questions???? Contact Lee Menard at email@example.com
Grow well, teach well and enjoy the holidays!
Vanessa Venturini and Lee Menard
State Program Leader and Volunteer Engagement Coordinator
URI Master Gardener Program
Are These Continuing Education Dates On Your Calendar?
January 18 at 2 PM “The URI American Chestnut Project” with Rudi Hempe. Beechwood Center; 44 Beach Street; North Kingstown, RI 02852. Details from December 9 newsletter.
January 21 at 9 AM “EcoBeneficial Gardening 101: Boosting Ecosystem in Your Own Yard” with Kim Eirman URI Pharmacy Building room 170. Details from December 15 newsletter. Register in Volgistics “my schedule” tab.