Online Education

A Division of the Office for the Advancement of Teaching & Learning

Online Pedagogy Competency Course

• “I enjoyed the dialogue between participants in the class. Their various ideas, perspectives, similarities and differences and thoughts helped me look at all angles of online teaching.”  – URI Faculty, Fall 2016

• “I feel more confident in my ability to teach online”  – URI Faculty, Fall 2016

• “I really liked the challenge of thinking through my face-to-face course and what strategies I could use to move it into a blended or online format.”  – URI Faculty, Summer 2016

• “It has provided me with ideas of how I can use technology to engage the students and to assess their knowledge.”  – URI Faculty, Summer 2016

The Online Pedagogy Competency Course (formerly Online Teaching Fellows Program- OLTF) has been re-designed to better serve the needs and time constraints of the URI community interested in Online and Blended Pedagogy.

The course requires completion of the Sakai Training prior to enrollment.

The Online Pedagogy Competency Course is taught asynchronously online.

Online Pedagogy: Redesigned!

Upcoming Dates:
Fall 2017: Monday, September 18 – Sunday, October 15

In the newly redesigned Online Pedagogy course, you can now complete the requirements for an online teaching certificate in just ONE four-week online course!  Over the four weeks, we will cover best practices of online teaching, writing learning outcomes and creating an effective syllabus, assessing learning, design decisions, Quality Matters, and building content. While intensive, we have changed the expectations and outcomes to facilitate the work of designing an online course, with practical exercises and assignments, as well as some collaborative discussions. You will emerge from this course with a solid start to your online course site! 

This course is NOT self-paced. Each lesson operates with due dates for discussions and assignments, and to be successful, you must participate fully. The experience of learning as an online student is beyond useful to a good online teacher; sitting in the seat of your students will open your eyes to their experience.

Please go here to enroll. The first session runs from Monday, September 18 through Sunday, October 15.

For more information please contact the office at online@uri.edu or 401.874.9127.

Think Big We Do