Online Education

A Division of the Office for the Advancement of Teaching & Learning

Online Pedagogy Competency Courses

• “I enjoyed the dialogue between participants in the class. Their various ideas, perspectives, similarities and differences and thoughts helped me look at all angles of online teaching.”  – URI Faculty, Fall 2016

• “I feel more confident in my ability to teach online”  – URI Faculty, Fall 2016

• “I really liked the challenge of thinking through my face-to-face course and what strategies I could use to move it into a blended or online format.”  – URI Faculty, Summer 2016

• “It has provided me with ideas of how I can use technology to engage the students and to assess their knowledge.”  – URI Faculty, Summer 2016

The Online Pedagogy Competency Courses (formerly Online Teaching Fellows Program- OLTF) has been re-designed to better serve the needs and time constraints of the URI community interested in Online and Blended Pedagogy. Now, completion of the program will entail 2 sections. You have the option to participate in both, or to participate in the course(s) that will allow you to meet your individual pedagogical goals.

All courses require completion of the Sakai Training prior to enrollment.

ALL Online Pedagogy Competency Courses are taught asynchronously online.

Online Pedagogy I: Best practices for online/blended course delivery.

Upcoming Dates:
Summer 2017: Monday, June 5 – Friday, June 30

Part one of Online Pedagogy is focused on teaching in an online or blended environment. At the conclusion of the course, you should be able to deploy best practices in teaching a developed online or blended course.

Objectives: At the end of this course, participants will

• Demonstrate understanding of best practices of online and blended pedagogy
  • Demonstrate the ability to create a rudimentary course site in Sakai
  • Explain the pedagogical reason behind using tools in Sakai such as discussions, lessons, and gradebook
  • Demonstrate awareness and understanding of interactivity in online and blended courses.

Time Commitment: 2 – 3 hours per week

Enroll Here

Online Pedagogy II: Course Development/Design

Self-paced course available now.
Apply here to be added to the course site.

Part two of Online Pedagogy is a flexibly-paced course that helps faculty think through the decisions required to transform, redesign, or design an online or blended course. Once enrolled in the course, you have 3 weeks to complete it. Faculty who participate in Online Pedagogy II should have completed Part 1 or have approved relevant experience.

Objectives: At the end of this course, participants will:

• Have designed an online or blended course, ready to launch at least 2 weeks of content
  • Explain the pedagogical reasoning behind the tools used in that course
  • Participate in an interactive showcase of their courses, available to the university community

For more information please contact the office at online@uri.edu or 401.874.9127.

Think Big We Do