Frequently Asked Questions


What are certificate programs?

Certificate programs are an alternative to enrolling in a graduate degree granting program. The University of Rhode Island Graduate School’s certificate programs are an option for students enrolled in a degree program who would pursue a certificate to augment their education or receive additional training, people interested in a graduate degree who would pursue a certificate as a path to a master’s degree or Ph.D., or professionals seeking to advance their careers.

How can I access my grades?

Assignment grades will be posted in Brightspace; course grades are posted in e-Campus at the end of the semester. You should contact your instructor directly if you have any questions regarding your grades.

How long will it take to complete an online course?

Online courses run on an accelerated 7 week schedule. Although you are able to manage your time during a week at your own pace, most instructors have specific deadlines weekly, and throughout the term. It is a good idea to read the entire syllabus and map out your assignment due dates on a calendar. 

Can I earn my entire degree online?

Yes. URI Online’s Masters programs are designed for working professionals and the courses are set up entirely online.

Are the online programs accredited?

Yes. Learn more about all of URI’s accreditations.

Application Process

How can I get a copy of my transcripts?

In order to get a copy of transcripts, you should contact previous institutions attended and request that an official transcript be sent to URI.

How do I transfer credits into a degree program?

Undergraduate students send your transcript to your college. Graduate students should consult the Graduate School manual.

I have taken courses previously at URI; am I considered a readmit? Is there a different application process for URI Readmits?

If you attended the University of Rhode Island as a degree seeking student in the past, you must apply for readmission. This includes any student who has attended URI at any point in their college career as a matriculated student.

How do I check the status of my application?

To check the status of your undergraduate application, you should contact the Undergraduate Admissions office. To check the status of your graduate school application, you should contact the Graduate School. 

Do I need to request URI transcripts for URI Online?

If you’re applying to a graduate program, you will need your URI transcripts. If you’re applying to one of our undergraduate programs, you will not need your URI transcript. Contact Enrollment Services for more questions.

What should I do if my transfer credit report is missing credits from an institution where I took courses?

You MUST request that an official transcript be sent to URI from all previous institutions attended. If you have already requested an official transcript to be sent to the University, contact the previous institution for an update.

How do I find info on important start dates and deadlines? 

Information on specific dates and deadlines (start of classes, last day to be refunded, last day to drop, etc.) can be found on the academic calendars.

I’m not a U.S. citizen. Can I still take classes?

Yes, however you cannot obtain a visa or federal financial aid.

Financial Aid

What is the URI School code for the FAFSA?

The University of Rhode Island Federal School Code is 003414.

What kind of financial aid is available for graduate students?

Graduate students are eligible for federal unsubsidized loans and federal graduate plus loans. Graduate students can also seek loans from alternative third-party lenders.  

What is the difference between a federal unsubsidized loan and a graduate plus loan?

The interest rates on Graduate PLUS loans are higher than those on unsubsidized federal student loans, which means students will have more to repay.

Must I take a course in each session to be eligible for financial aid?

No, if you are enrolled at least half-time (4.5 credits) in 1 session you are eligible to receive financial aid.

Who do I contact if I have questions about my financial aid?

Contact the Office of Enrollment Services 401-874-9500 or for questions regarding financial aid, billing or registration.

Is financial aid available for certificate programs?

Federal financial aid is not available for certificate programs. Students enrolled in a certificate program can apply for student loans with a third-party lender.

Am I eligible for scholarships or grants?

Graduate students may be eligible for scholarships or grants as decided by the Graduate School and Program Directors. For more information click here.

How many credits must I take each 7-week session to be eligible for financial aid?

Graduate students are required to be enrolled at least half-time (4.5 credits) to be eligible for financial aid.  There are two 7-week sessions within each term. A student can be enrolled in at least 4.5 credits for 1 session or a combination of both sessions within a term to be financial aid eligible.

Am I eligible for loans in the summer?

A student enrolled at least half-time (4.5 credits) in a summer term may be eligible for summer loans.


Do I have a student number as an online student?

Yes, every student has a student ID number.

How do I register for an online course?

Registration Instructions

How do I login to my online course?

Log into BrightSpace using your user ID and password.

Who should I contact if there is a hold on my account and what the hold is for?

When you log onto e-Campus, on the right hand side there is a box entitled “Holds”. If you have a hold on your account, it will list what the hold is for. You can click on the “hold” to view information on how to resolve the hold.

If I want, or need, to drop a course is there a timeframe I need to do this without penalty?

You MUST drop an accelerated online course within 3 days of the start of the session in order to receive a refund.

Do I get a student ID card?

An ID card will be mailed to the student’s mailing address after admission.

Can I take an online course and an on-campus course?

No, students in the accelerated, fully online programs may not take classes in other programs.

How do I find out who my advisor and/or class instructor is?

Your academic advisor will be listed on your e-Campus home page.


Will my degree be the same as an on-campus degree?


Can I walk in the regular graduation ceremony with everyone else?

Yes, the ceremony will be held in May.

Will my degree say online?


What is the procedure to apply for graduation?

The University of Rhode Island confers degrees on three dates: End of December, End of May, and End of August. The deadline to submit your Intent to Graduate form depends on the program you are enrolled in. Please refer to the online catalog for more information.


What services are available for learning disabled and physically disabled students?

Disability Services for Students works with students and all units of URI to create inclusive and sustainable learning and working environments. They help facilitate access, discourse, and involvement through innovative services, programs, leadership, and collaboration. For more info, email Disability Services for Students

Career Development

Where can I find information on career development?

The Center for Career and Experiential Education (CCEE) helps you to think about your skills, personality, interests and values in relation to your coursework, co-curricular activities, and volunteer or paid work experience. The Career Education Specialists (CES) in CCEE have specializations in advising and can help you determine the right career path, conduct job, internship and volunteer searches, write your resume, and prepare for a professional event. Learn more about the Center for Career and Experiential Education.