Talent Development Summer Program 2014
Talent Development is seeking qualified applicants for Summer 2014 Live-In Counselors.
- Counselor: Live-in: up to 6 positions
- Bachelor’s degree strongly preferred in Psychology, Counseling, Human Development, Education, or related area.
- College Senior Status Required (90 Credits earned as of June 2014).
- Applicants without a bachelor’s degree must submit a copy of their unofficial transcript with their application.
- Experience working with people in counseling, advisory, teaching, or supervision required.
- Experience working with varied racial and ethnic populations strongly preferred.
- Live-in supervision of a group of pre-freshmen during intensive academic pre-matriculation program.
- One-to-one contact and group sessions.
- Establish and maintain structured, supportive residential environment focused on academic success and transition to college for students of color and disadvantaged students.
- To collaboratively establish and maintain a residential environment focused on academic achievement
- To initiate and develop a relationship with each counselee that supports his/her work towards individual academic goals
- To develop a method to recognize and assess possible individual problems in student’s transition to college
- To teach practical methods of problem assessment and problem solving to counselees
- To monitor academic progress of counselees
- To teach and supervise self-management techniques to support academic success of counselees
- To teach and support all university regulations governing residential life
- Week one — staff training, Tuesday through Friday
- Week two – students move in and begin supplemental courses, Sunday through Friday
- Weeks three through seven – students taking credit courses and tutorials Sundays through Thursdays
- Daily staff meetings
- Weekly individual counselee meetings
- Weekly hall meetings
- Shared afternoon dorm coverage
- Shared evening residence security coverage
Dates and Hours
- Tuesday, June 10 , 2014 through Thursday, July 24, 2014
- Week 1: Staff Training and Orientation. Tuesday, June 10, 12 pm through Friday, June 13, 4 pm
- Week 2: Sunday, June 15, 9 am through Friday, June 20, 5 pm
- Weeks 3 – 7: Sundays, 2 pm through Thursdays, 3 pm
- $3500 / Seven Weeks
Application Deadline: April 6, 2014
Submit Resume and Cover Letter* to:
Edward P. Givens, Assistant Director
Talent Development Program
E-mail (preferred): firstname.lastname@example.org
* Note: Applicants without a bachelor’s degree must also submit a copy of their unofficial transcript with their application.
If the applicant pool is insufficient, the deadline will be extended.