College of Business

Ballentine Hall, 7 Lippitt Road, Kingston, RI 02881


Think Big, We Do.
Rhode Island Seal

Academic Advising

At the College of Business, we believe an effective academic advising program is essential to your success. Academic advisors, located in Ballentine Hall, are available to business majors. Designated business advisors are available in University College for students interested in business who have not yet been accepted into the College of Business.

For Business Students

  • Kathy Conlon (Ballentine, Room 301) and Elizabeth Fehr (Ballentine, Room 311) are full-time academic advisors who work with  junior and senior business majors.  To schedule an appointment with Kathy Conlon or Elizabeth Fehrcontact Leila Donohue at 401.874.2337 or
  • Laurie Bouthillier (Ballentine, Room 345) is also available for academic advising and as a resource for any of your questions about graduation. To contact her, call her at 401.874.2338 or email

For TMD Students

  • Junior and senior TMD students meet with their assigned faculty advisors in Quinn Hall.

For University College Students

  • Brianna Saccucci (401.874.5603; Roosevelt Hall 16B) is the academic advisor for UC-BU students and first and second year TMD students.
  • Tanya Jones (401.874.2512; Roosevelt Hall, Suite 12) is an advisor for UC-BU students and first- and second-year TMD students.
  • For sophomores transitioning from UC to BUS in Spring 2018, please review these steps.

Curriculum Sheets

Students follow the curriculum requirements for the year in which they first entered the University. See curriculum sheets by year and major.

Academic Advising FAQS

How will I know when I have been accepted into the College of Business?

  • If you are a UC-BU student, you will receive an email welcoming you to the College of Business. Once you register for classes for the next semester, your transcript  will reflect your status as a College of Business student. For questions, contact Brianna Saccucci (

How can I be sure I am taking the right courses to fulfill my degree requirements?

  • It is important to be familiar with the requirements for the catalog year you are following (the year you entered URI) and to meet with your advisor at least once each semester to review your academic progress. It is your responsibility to follow your curriculum sheet and make sure you are on track to graduate.

Credits, Courses, and Degree Requirements

Can I double major in the College of Business?

  • You cannot have two majors in the College of Business, although you may choose a second major in a one of the other Colleges within the University.
    If your goal is to broaden and deepen your business knowledge, the recommended plan of action would be to complete the requirements for the B.S. in Business Administration and then work toward the MBA or the MSA (Master of Science in Accounting). Contact Lisa Lancellotta (Ballentine Room 337) if you have questions about the MBA programs and Professor Henry Schwarzbach (Ballentine Room 338 ) or Professor Judy Beckman for questons about the MSA program.
  • If you are a TM or TMD student, you may double major in a business discipline, provided you meet the CBA requirements for entry into that major.

Can I minor in business?

  • You cannot major and minor in business, although as a business major you may choose a minor from one of the other Colleges within the University. Please note: Non-business majors may complete a minor in General Business.

What if I want to change my major?

  • Meet with an advisor to review the required curriculum sheet to make sure that you can still graduate in a timely manner. Remember that many classes require prerequisites and some may only be offered during certain semesters, so this requires careful planning. Download Change of Major Form. 

Can I take a class Pass/Fail?

  • Only if it is an elective. No general education or degree requirement classes can be taken pass/fail.

May I take a culture cluster to fulfill my language requirement?

  • No. You need to complete two semesters of the same language. If you choose to study abroad for one semester and have completed the 102 level of a language at URI, the second language class can become a free elective. Please consult with an advisor regarding proper placement and levels of proficiency.

May I study abroad during the summer to fulfill my foreign language requirement?

  • No, not unless you actually earn language credits in a foreign language.


What if I am unhappy with a grade in a certain class or have issues pertaining to a certain instructor?

  • You should first speak with that instructor. The next step would to contact the area coordinator. If there are unresolved issues, contact notify Dean Deborah Rosen on the third floor of Ballentine.

Internships, Study Abroad, Honors Program, Transferring Credit

How do I get credit for a business internship?

  • Meet with Lynne Finnegan, Internship Coordinator, in Ballentine Hall, Room 315. You must have 75 completed credits and a 2.75 GPA to qualify. You will register for BUS493, which is the online class that accompanies the internship.

What do I need to do before studying abroad?

  • After completing your application and necessary paperwork with the Study Abroad Office (37 Lower College Road, ) meet with an academic advisor for approval on course transfer equivalencies. Download “Before you Study Abroad” information sheet. Please make an appointment and bring all of the proper paperwork with you to this meeting, referring to the “Before You Study Abroad” document emailed to you upon inquiry. Download Prior Approval for Study Abroad Form.

Can I participate in the Honors Program?

  • Those students with a cumulative GPA of 3.3 or higher are eligible to participate.

What if I want to take a class at another college?

  • If you want to take an upper-level business class, it must be taken at an AACSB-accredited school. You should also fill out the Prior Approval for Off-Campus Study Form (and submit it to Laurie Bouthillier. Download Prior Approval for Off-Campus Study Form.
  • If you want to take a general education or elective class, you should also submit the form prior to registering. Please refer to the Transfer Credit Resources on the URI website for classes already approved.
  • You do not need to submit the form if the class is taken at RIC or CCRI due to the Rhode Island Articulation Agreement. Remember that half of your Major and Minor credits need to be taken at URI. You may only transfer in 60 credits from a community college or 90 credits from a four-year institution.


What do I have to do to graduate?

  • You must earn a minimum of 120 credits, satisfy all of the requirements in your major, and have 2.0 CUM GPA and a 2.0 GPA in your major classes. During the fall of senior year, students must file the Intent to Graduate Form with the Dean’s Office (sent via email). In addition to completing the form, you must sign up for a degree audit with an advisor. If you need to change your graduation date, please inform an advisor. Please ask an advisor or refer to your curriculum sheet for your eight core classes in your major. Students will not graduate if they do not file the Intent to Graduate form. Download Preparing for Graduation Guidelines.

May I walk through the commencement ceremony in May if I still need to take a few courses over the summer?

  • You can still participate in graduation exercises in May if you have twelve or fewer credits left to complete and plan to finish in the summer. In this case, you would be considered an August candidate and will receive your degree after you complete your degree requirements. You can also graduate in December, in which case you would walk the following May. There is only one official graduation ceremony in May.

University Policies

How do I petition for a late add/drop or course substitution?

  • You must complete a petition form Petition to Appeal that will be reviewed by the Scholastic Standing Committee. This form also requires the signature of the Area Coordinator. This committee meets twice per month. All petitions must be submitted to the receptionist on the third floor of Ballentine at least 24 hours prior to the meeting. You will be notified via email about the committee’s decision. Please refer to the College of Business calendar for the dates of the meetings. Download Petition to Appeal Add/Drop Deadline.

What must I do to withdraw or leave for a period of time?

  • You need to submit a Request for Leave of Absence. The Leave of Absence form requires a Dean’s signature before it is sent to Enrollment Services. You need to make an appointment to see Assistant Dean Peg Boyd by calling 401.874.2337.



Copyright © 2018 University of Rhode Island.

The University of Rhode Island
Think Big, We Do.
A-ZDirectoryContact UsJump to top