The Counseling Center will be meeting with students both virtually and in-person this semester.
Pre-screening hours for new and returning clients are M-F 10 AM – 3 PM.
Please call us at 401-874-2288 for an appointment or to speak with a Counselor.
If you are concerned about the well-being of a student and would like to speak with a counselor about how to best help the student, you may call us at 401-874-2288. We welcome calls from faculty, staff, parents, fellow students, etc.
* note: after hours you will be connected to services provided by MySSP.
You may also call the campus police at 401-874-2121 or see our Crisis Page for further referrals.
How to Refer a Student to the Counseling Center
- Suggest that the student call 874-2288 or come to 217 Roosevelt Hall during our pre-screening hours (Mon-Fri, 10 – 3) to meet with a counselor.
- If you feel that the situation requires immediate attention, call the Counseling Center at 401-874-2288, identify yourself, and ask to speak with the On-Call Counselor about your reason for the referral.
- In some instances, you might find it helpful to accompany the student to the Counseling Center.
Services Provided by the Counseling Center
- Short-term individual counseling
- Group counseling
- Alcohol and other substance abuse counseling
- Referrals for off-campus therapy
- Crisis Intervention
- Medical and psychiatric referrals
- Training and teaching
Information shared in counseling and/or testing situations is confidential and cannot be disclosed to any party outside of the URI Counseling Center without the student’s prior written consent. Confidentiality may be broken only (a) if such disclosure is necessary to protect the student or someone else from imminent danger, (b) in cases of apparent ongoing child or elder abuse, or (c) in those rare instances when the courts subpoena counseling records. These exceptions to complete confidentiality are mandated by Rhode Island state law.
If you wish to know whether or not a student accepted your referral, you can ask that the Information Release Form be signed at the time the student sees the counselor. The counselor will then provide you with appropriate feedback.