On-campus employment is a great way for you to earn money for your miscellaneous educational expenses while in college. Students who were awarded Federal Work-Study as part of their financial aid package can earn up to the amount of their offer through on-campus or community service positions. Though some positions require that a student have Federal Work- Study to be employed, others are available to students who do not qualify for Federal Work-Study as well.
Federal Work Study
Federal Work Study provides students with an opportunity to work part-time during the academic year. The jobs may either be with University departments, off-campus nonprofit, nonsectarian, nonpolitical agencies, or federal, state, or local public agencies.
If you have Federal Work-Study, follow these easy steps!
- Accept your Work-Study Award through e-Campus (student self-service portal). Deadline for accepting this award: September 11, 2023
- Explore available student employment opportunities at Handshake
- After logging into Handshake, click on the job feed, then click on the “on-campus” filter to only show on-campus jobs.
- Apply to those that interest you, using your resume and any requested information. Watch for emails from Handshake or the employer for interview requests and updates.
- Start earning! You will earn money through a biweekly paycheck, which you can use towards any educational expenses. Most students use this money for their living expenses.
Student Employee Information
- Federal Employment Eligibility Verification (Form I-9)
- Upload I-9 documents
- Current Pay Rates
- University Student Employment Policy
Students can sign up for direct deposit through e-Campus. The direct deposit takes one pay period to take effect.
- To sign up for Direct Deposit:
Log in to e-Campus > Self Service > Payroll and Compensation > Direct Deposit
If Direct Deposit is not chosen, payroll will mail paychecks to the mailing address listed in e-Campus for all in-house employees (internal, graduate assistants, and students). If no mailing address is entered, the checks will be sent to the home address listed in e-Campus. Please make sure that your address is correct and up to date to avoid checks being sent to the wrong address.
How to Submit Hours
To report your time, follow these instructions:
- Log into e-Campus, and select Self Service > Time Reporting
- Select Timesheet
- Enter hours as appropriate under the correct day(s)
- Choose URI Internal Regular Pay from the dropdown menu
- Click Submit