News and Events archive

Events

News

Alumni Stories

• Michele Edelman ’89 - Michele Edelman, journalism, looks back fondly on her time at the University of Rhode Island. Edelman has been instrumental in realizing Premiere Digital's vision and strategically positioning it for sustained success in the realm of digital distribution.
  • Scott Levine ’90 - Scott Levine, communication studies, was an active student during his time at URI, being involved in the Student Alumni Association during the 1988 basketball season. Today he is the Director of Human Capital at Parthenon Capital.
  • Michael Benadon ’93 - Michael Benadon, communication studies and public relations, is the Vice President of Talent Acquisition for Capital One. At URI, Benadon took advantage of his courses at URI to become a proficient public speaker.
  • Jason Askew ’01 - Jason Askew, public relations and communication studies, discovered his passion for communication his sophomore year after learning about the opportunities for communication majors. Today, he is a Senior Product Marketing Manager at Cvent.
  • David Goldman ’98 - David Goldman, journalism and Spanish, came to URI to pursue his love of surfing but developed a passion for photojournalism at the Good Five Cent Cigar. Today, Goldman is a photojournalist for the Associated Press.
  • Aniekan Okon ’23 - Aniekan Okon, journalism and sports media & communication, was part of the inaugural class of graduates from the sports media program. Today, he works as a Sports Anchor and Reporter at CBS19 News in Charlottesville, Virginia.
  • Nikki Noya ’00 - Nikki Noya, communication studies, was an A10-winning volleyball player and dedicated student during her time at URI. Today, she is a co-owner of On It Media and a co-host on “The Jet Set.”
  • Bill Loveless ’73 - Bill Loveless, journalism, has been a reporter and correspondent for more than 40 years. During his time at URI, Loveless was one of the founding members and the third editor of the Good Five Cent Cigar.
  • Aria Mia Loberti ’20 - “I’m an academic, so I have to use what I know to prepare. I did a lot of research into what makes a person behave the way they do and what life factors contribute to certain behaviors.”
  • Kate LeBlanc ’22 - “I always say that studying journalism was the best decision I could've made. It teaches you how to act on curiosity, how to talk with anyone, and how to distill information and communicate.”
  • Naleen Camara ’21 - “I really enjoyed the flexibility that I had within the Harrington School because I felt like I was always one interesting class away from changing my whole life.”
  • Valerie Shields ’06 - “Work hard, but also be a little patient... you're gonna work for a long time. It'll come. Enjoy the journey because you're gonna learn a lot on your way there.”
  • Ted Daniel ’96 - “I grew up watching ABC World News... I liked the idea of being able to share information with people and help them learn and understand what's going on in their world.”
  • Katie Siegle ’22 - “Harrington is great because a lot of the majors interact with one another. You can be any major, and you're doing similar things. It's all part of one school.”
  • Sherrie Session ’12 - “Think Big, We Do- is a motto I continue to live by today... I love the study of communications and hope to continue impacting the world through this lens.”
  • Theresa Brown ’21 - “If it were up to me, I would have majored in all the programs. Everything crosses over. You don't just use PR, journalism, writing, or film. It's one school for a reason.”
  • Photo of Kevin Lopes Kevin Lopes ’05 - “The more involved you are the better your lifelong friendships will be, the better your network will be, and more fun you’ll have during your time in Rhode Island.”
  • Portrait of Isobel McCullough in the Ranger Hall living room Isobel McCullough ’22 - For her undergraduate honors thesis, Isobel McCullough recorded the sonic profiles of seven Rhode Island beaches. The result is an artistic investigation inspired by science.
  • Alyssa Botelho ’21 - A film produced as part of a senior capstone project has earned a URI Film/Media alum two college Emmy awards from National Academy of Television Arts and Sciences’ New England Chapter.
  • Vianka Brito ’20 - Vianka Brito ’20 used her communications to show underrepresented and marginalized student in her community that they can succeed in college and make an impact through their careers.
  • Kim Smith ’15 -
  • Rachel Mossberg ’10 -
  • Arden Bastia Arden Bastia ’20 -
  • Alexa Tombs ’16 - A typical day for Alexa Tombs, class of URI ’16, is ever-changing. Alexa graduated from the University of Rhode Island only 3 short years ago with a Bachelor of Arts in public relations. Since that time, she has been working at Warner Bros Pictures in New York City. Recently appointed to the new position of […]
  • Photo of Jennifer Cingari Christie Alumni Spotlight: Jennifer Cingari Christie ’08 - Working in sports was always in Jennifer Cingari Christie’s future. It was no surprise, therefore, that upon graduating with a Bachelor of Arts in Public Relations from URI, she quickly moved on to work at ESPN films.